Monday, June 9, 2008

My Sign

Based on the events of this weekend, I've decided I should start carrying around a sign. What do you think of it?

In case you couldn't tell, I had to answer a few of the same questions over and over again. As I mentioned in earlier posts, I was back in N.T. with my parents this weekend, mostly to go to my cousin's graduation party. While I was there I also got to visit my grandma where she's been rehabbing her replaced hip and to go to the annual St. Matthew Church Picnic with my parents. Between those two stops and the graduation party, I don't know how many times I answered the same questions. And that's not even counting the inquiries from random strangers while I was out shopping Saturday evening or the chit-chat with the hair stylist on Saturday morning.

I'm not saying that people shouldn't ask...but maybe the strangers could keep their thoughts to themselves. I had these two sales clerks at Macy's asking me names, and I was merely walking by them while they were chatting. Don't they realize some people don't share that info, even with close friends and family? And for the record, there are a few reasons--first, that you just don't want people giving you looks that make you second guess things. I know our names aren't that freakishly weird...so I'd rather just leave the topic alone. Once the baby's been named they really can't say much, but at this stage they could still try to talk you out of it, and why give anyone the chance to bring on that kind of frustration? And second, what if we decide to change it at the last minute, particularly once we've seen the baby? I've heard of that happening a lot. And third, with strangers, is it really any of their business anyway? While I'm relieved to not have any total strangers coming up and rubbing my belly, I still don't understand what makes people think that pregnant women and their bellies are suddenly public property.

I get that most people (the ones that know you, especially) genuinely want to know and it's sweet that they care. Still, answering the same questions gets old. And even worse was the fact that it was 90 degrees outside the whole weekend and my house doesn't have air conditioning. That makes me even more of a pity case. No, it's not comfortable, but I'd be uncomfortable even if I wasn't pregnant. The only difference at this point is carting around 20 extra pounds and not being able to wear less or different clothing that might have been more comfortable. Again, I appreciate the sympathy, but I don't know...I'm just sort of dealing. Common courtesy is fine...offer me a chair or a beverage. But feeling sorry for me isn't going to buy me central air, so having people assuming I'm miserable just doesn't really do me any good. I don't really want to sit there and feel sorry for myself.

Anyway, it was a good weekend. Back to the grind at work. It was another active morning for the baby, which at this stage really starts making me nervous. It got a little uncomfortable, so maybe that, along with this congestion/coughing issue I've got right now (probably allergies), along with said coughing interrupting my sleep (once again in the basement, BTW), it put me in a bit of a cranky mood this morning...hence the cranky post. But really...I do appreciate everyone's concern. I think I'm just questioned out...

No comments: