Friday, June 6, 2008

How hot is it in Rochester?

No, it didn't bring on labor...yet. But it's so hot that the MALL lost power. Not just a couple stores or a wing, but the WHOLE mall. And not just the mall, but the Target across the parking lot. After work today I headed off to a happy hour for Erin, my co-worker of three years (first at the Amerks, then at my current job), who is moving on to bigger and better things. A bunch of us sat outside on the nicely shaded patio at a bar on East Ave. downtown. It was hot but tolerable. Lots of water with lemon for me! East Ave. was busy because it was the first East End Fest of the year...about what you'd guess....beer, music, people. Fortunately the traffic and road closures didn't throw me off too much, because with the heat and pregnancy, my tolerance probably isn't at its peak. I came home, had a little dinner, then headed back out to shop for a summer robe (aka hospital gear) at JCPenney with the $10 off coupon we got in the mail the other day. I didn't notice anything until I saw people standing outside of Circuit City (like, employees in their matching red shirts), and then noticed people outside a bar...and noticed that the mall looked awfully dark. Then I saw the wave of people outside the movie theater...and more people streaming out of every available exit. I couldn't believe that the whole mall lost power! I decided to head over to Target and see if I could hang out there a bit until the power came back on at the mall, but sure enough, Target was out too! It's the craziest thing to see.

So, now I'm back home in the sweltering heat. I have a fan blowing directly on me and I'm still sweating. It's not really any cooler outside right now, I don't think, so having all the windows open doesn't appear to be helping. The baby's pretty fidgety, which is making me a little nervous. I don't want to get overheated, for my sake or the baby's. I'm starting to think central air really is going to have to climb the priority list, because I don't know how much of this I can take, or the baby should be exposed to (even if it is used to a balmy 98.6 degrees right now!). Sleep is going to be in short enough supply without being hot, too. So we shall see.

I'm off to go have another freeze pop or some ice cream or cold something...stay cool, everyone!

No comments: