Friday, September 28, 2012

Heading out...

Written sometime before 7am this morning, before a very long but very fun day...

Well, here we are on our first flight as a family.  The 4am wakeup call was pretty painful considering we didn't get to bed quite as early as we'd have liked.  I wanted to get Jacob into bed at 8pm, but that didn't happen until 8:30, and then he was apparently a little excited because he was up until about 9:45 or so.  Ugh.  I panicked about my wardrobe until about 10pm, when I finally decided it wasn't going to get any better.  Craig and I were in bed by a little after 10pm, but it took a while for me to fall asleep, and both of us woke up quite a bit during the night.  When we got up at 4am, I said, “Well, that was a good nap!” because that's pretty much all it felt like.  I'm doing OK now after getting ready, getting through the airport chaos, and having a little something to eat and drink, but yeah, it's been a busy morning.  Considering I'm writing this at a time when I'm normally still laying in bed a couple minutes away from my alarm clock buzzing, and we happen to be on a plane somewhere 20 minutes or so south of Rochester, so far so good. 

Things were a little tight at the airport because we got there about 15 minutes later than I wanted to and the security line was long.  Then we ended up in the worst possible line because it was the cut-through for crew members.  We had about a dozen crew members cut into our line to put our luggage through the x-ray machine, so the process was a little longer than would be ideal.  Then we had to stop in a bathroom to get Jacob out of his pull-up and PJs, but that turned into an argument because he's in love with the new jammies I let him wear last night (so he had nice ones to wear in public) so we compromised and I let him keep his shirt on.  I may or may not have had to shed a couple tears to get to that compromise, but while I may have embellished a bit, the last thing I needed this morning was to argue about clothes so I didn't have to embellish much.  We'll have to change once we get to Atlanta anyway (it's going to be 87 there today, so this morning's jeans will not work!), so we'll tackle it then.  It's a pretty cool shirt, I'll admit.

We walked right on the plane after the bathroom stop, and were probably among the last dozen or so passengers to get on.  Oh well.  We had enough room for our carry-ons and we have three seats together, so that works for me.  We took off about 10 minutes late, but it was an easy take-off and Jacob seemed to like it.  We flew right up into clouds after a couple minutes and it's just starting to get light now.  Hopefully we have some good scenery upon arrival.

So, Jacob's watching a movie, Craig is sleeping, and I'm blogging.  We should be to Atlanta in about an hour and a half (two hours total).  Not bad considering this trip isn't much longer than our normal drive to Buffalo and we'll be in a totally different place!  So far the sleep deprivation hasn't been much of an issue with Jacob, but it'll be a long day outside in the heat so we'll see how that goes...for all of us.  More to come soon...

No comments: