Monday, September 17, 2012

Letters to Baby #8 - July 28, 2012

Dear baby-to-be,

It has been a rough week.  The exhaustion and nausea are really getting difficult to deal with.  The nausea is almost constant now, and while food used to help it, even that doesn't work these days.  I haven't gotten physically sick (never did last time either), but this time I feel like the urge is worse and more frequent.  Last time I do remember thinking that the wrong scent could have put me over the edge, but it never did.  This time I don't have a sense of smell (long story—lost it a few years back, hopefully once you're here I can try some new things to get it back), which is probably a good thing for now because I really think that could do me in.  I don't remember having a real aversion to anything last time, but this time, it's black beans.  I've never loved them, but learned to tolerate them recently (much easier without a sense of taste!) and I had a burrito with them a while back that didn't sit well, and ever since the mere thought of them has been a problem.  It's so weird, so illogical, but that's how it goes.  I'm also having itchy skin and some chills/hot flashes that are probably all hormone-related, so overall it just feels like I have no control over my body.  It makes it hard to get through a work week feeling so yucky, but I figure that I've got three bad weeks to go and then it should start getting better.  I'm eight weeks along today (so, 1/5th of the way through), and I think the nausea started to lay off around 11 weeks last time.  Of course, at that point we headed off to Florida, so the good weather and distractions of Disney may have helped with that!  This time I'll have my birthday to look forward to, but it will also signal the end of summer.  On the bright side, that will be the time when we can really start telling people, and hopefully I can really start enjoying this experience then, once I'm not feeling the effects all the time.

In the meantime, I guess I should take the nausea as good news that all is still well.  I should be enjoying still being skinny.  Of course, my workouts have been a bit lacking—both in quantity and quality.  I worked out up through 7-1/2 months last time, and I'd like to do that again.  But I haven't had the time or energy to work out more than once a week lately, and what's worse, I haven't been able to run.  I know my time to do that is limited as it is (makes me nervous enough now), but I'd like to do it for a little while yet.  I've been going to a class at the gym, and that's been a good, hard workout.  I'll do that as long as I can, just like I did last time, and start modifying moves when things start to get too hard or body parts get in the way.  I need all the fitness I can get leading up to delivery, because based on your brother, it's a long, tiring process.  I don't know how I would have gotten through it if I didn't work out as long as I did. 

It's all very hard, but once you're here, it will all be worth it.  So pardon my complaining for a bit, and keep growing in there.  Love you :)

Love,
Mommy

No comments: