Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Waiting for movement...

Now that we're into week 17 (the baby is the same weight as a turnip this week, by the way...they must have run out of fruits and vegetables that are comparable in size), I'm getting a little anxious to start feeling the baby move. They say it's usually anywhere between 16 and 22 weeks, so I may still have a decent wait. I'm thinking I'll be sort of in the middle because I'm thin (which means that I should feel things earlier) but this is also my first baby (which means that the muscles are firmer and I'll feel less early on).

I've had feelings somewhere in my belly periodically in the last few weeks, but honestly, it's so hard to know if it's just gas bubbles or actual movement. Supposedly they feel the same until you get used to the feeling. I've been trying to figure it all out based on the location of the fluttering feeling...it actually sort of feels like a muscle spasm, like when your eye gets a twitch or something. The optimist in me wants to believe it's actual movement, but the pessimist in me thinks back to an evening back in the summer where an area of my stomach visibly twitched on and off for about 20 minutes...but obviously that was either gas or a muscle issue. The feeling I've had lately is really similar but not as freakishly visible as it was that evening. But that just proves that one can masquerade as the other.

Even though I have fears that the movement is going to keep me up at night (more than, say, trying to stay on my side or 5am bathroom trips already do), I'm eager to know for sure someone's in there and at least have a clue that all is well. I really think that has to be where the bonding starts, when the baby really makes its presence known without hiding behind other devices like morning sickness, exhaustion, or cravings (none of those yet, in case you were wondering...at least, nothing beyond what I experienced in my pre-pregnant life). Knowing that you're feeling something and it's actually the baby, not just caused by the baby, has to be pretty stinkin' cool. And I'm getting tired of waiting for doctor appointments to have that sort of direct connection, you know?

In any event, I'll let you know when it happens :)

2 comments:

Blinky said...

Hi! I found your blog from Erin's blog on Glamour, and gasped out loud when I stumbled across your Amerks reference. You're in Rochester too! Yay! I'm in Rochester also, and am 28 and 8 weeks along. I'm so excited to follow along on your journey with you!!! :) *Jean

Kristen said...

Hi! My friends Jean told me about your blog. Great reading! I'm 18 weeks along with my first child and haven't felt a thing yet...


Good luck!
:)