Friday, January 18, 2008

Keeping positive

I've been realizing lately that I've been keeping a pretty positive attitude about this whole pregnancy thing. Despite all of the less-than-fun stuff that goes on during pregnancy, overall I'm feeling pretty good about this experience so far. I was always worried that something would totally freak me out and make me completely miserable for the duration, but so far that hasn't happened (knock on wood...).

It probably seems like I've been doing a lot of complaining on this blog, but that's really only because having something to complain about spawns more thoughts than sheer joy, and those thoughts generally end up on here for lack of anything better to discuss. Sure, it wasn't fun to feel nauseous for a month, or to have my digestive system turned upside down, or to be tired a lot of the time (still), or to be banned from certain foods and beverages...but I know it's all worth it. And, I guess that's what's important. I know that I have some tough months ahead of me as well, but for now I can still enjoy all of this. There's a lot to look forward to, and even some of the less fun stuff (like my expanding waist line) has its own mystique despite the negatives that might come along with it.

I think I've definitely benefitted from being around a lot of people that enjoy parenting and the pregnancy experience. I haven't heard many horror stories, and most people have had a good sense of humor about some of the crazy things that happened to them while they were pregnant. That definitely helps. And it helps even more when people are like, "Yeah, it's the best thing you'll ever do," without sounding fake or overly enthusiastic. The people I believe the most are the ones that have this peaceful, appreciative tone...like they know that what they've experienced with their kids, for better or worse, is one of the true wonders of this world. People that sound too flowery make it seem like they're sugarcoating things for my benefit...or they've been so traumatized by parenthood that they've tried to ignore all the bad stuff and and are overcompensating. But the good stories and genuinely fulfilled people around me make this experience that much more positive.

Long story short, I'm going to have bad days...like all this week when I had trouble dragging my butt off the couch in the evenings. But as long as there still seems to be this aura of happiness beneath it all, I can't complain. I'm pretty blessed.

No comments: