Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Juno

So we got to watch "Juno" the other night. Interesting movie if you haven't seen it yet. And if you haven't heard about it, it's about a 16 year old that gets pregnant after some experimentation with her best friend and decides to give the baby up for adoption. Overall I liked it, but there was one plot twist I didn't enjoy very much. Some of the writing was fantastic, with some really funny zingers, but I will say that some of it brought to mind the criticisms of Dawson's Creek way back in the day...that the characters were a little too intense and intelligent to be believable high schoolers. I got a bit of that in "Juno" as well, but then again, it was about a topic that is really beyond high school maturity level anyway...or at least, it should be. To be honest, I couldn't even fathom being pregnant at sixteen. High school was such a hyper-emotional time anyway, and that was just about annoying first-love type stuff. Not that that stuff wasn't traumatic, because it was, but compared to having a baby? Yikes.

Some stuff in the movie was perhaps a little more flippant than I figure it would be in most real life situations (like her parents handled it REALLY well), but seeing a movie like that while pregnant myself added another dimension to it. The ultrasound scene made me smile, and I couldn't help but laugh at the revelation that babies have fingernails, that Juno was made aware of outside the women's clinic before she went in to "procure a hasty abortion." The fingernail thing reminded me of all these emails I get each week about the baby's development...all the minute details about what's forming this week, etc. This week the baby is the size of a bell pepper, by the way. I suppose stuff like fingernails does make a baby seem a lot more real, doesn't it?

I also saw "Knocked Up" when I was pregnant, albeit early on. There were a couple things that stuck in my head from that one (still trying to get the delivery sequence out)--the original ultrasound and when they tried to have sex when she was 5 or 6 months along. The original ultrasound was misleading, at least in our case. We were convinced when we went for ours that we were about 8 weeks, which is what she was in the movie, and all she saw was a blob. As evidenced by our ultrasound, which was actually at 10 weeks, there was way more than a blob. As for the sex thing, I'll be honest...it freaked me out a little to see a woman with a baby belly trying to have sex. Considering I'm rapidly developing a baby belly, I'm going to have to get past that (and hopefully Craig was fine with it from the beginning!). It's not that she didn't look good or anything, but let's just say there's a reason why most forms of mainstream sexual media don't focus on pregnant women. It's just...odd. Beautiful in its own way, but odd nonetheless.

That said, not all pregnancy movies give me a complex. I'm very much hoping to stumble upon "Look Who's Talking" playing on cable sometime soon...I think I'd appreciate Mikey's in-womb commentary that much more :)

No comments: