Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Time Check

I had a scary realization last night while enjoying the lovely weather (seriously, I'm not being saracstic...it was in the 60s the last two days...of course today we have 60mph wind gusts instead). I was thinking how nice it was to walk out of the grocery store and not shiver while loading my bags, and came to the sad conclusion that I might not experience that again until at least April, but maybe as late as May. And by then, I'll probably be waddling out of Wegmans, big as a house. Yikes. A good "yikes", but a "yikes" nonetheless.

As I thought about it further, I started thinking about Easter. It's early this year, and even though winters here tend to drag on, I have this feeling that it'll be here before we know it. It's only 2-1/2 months away. And then, imagine my shock as I realized that only three months after that, we'll have a baby! Whew. I know it will be like anything else. Time will fly sometimes, and other times, we'll wonder why it's going so slow. We were on a similar timeline back when we got married--our 5th anniversary is two days before the due date. I remember back then that that last month dragged quite a bit...but in retrospect, those 10-11 months of planning went so fast! I'm sure here it will be the same thing. That last month (when I'm huge and it's hot) will probably drag, but my hope is that we'll be busy enough getting things ready that it'll speed it up a bit. Another thing I remember from our wedding is that when we got back from our honeymoon at the end of the first week of July, it didn't seem possible that the 4th of July (the peak of summer in my mind) had passed and summer was already on its downswing. I'm sure the same thing will happen this year...all of the hubbub surrounding the birth and getting settled, and all of a sudden it'll be heading toward the end of July and we'll be saying, "Where has summer gone?" Wishing away the days all through June does that!

My only solace in that is that I will be off on maternity leave for a good chunk of the summer, so I should have plenty of opportunity to enjoy the weather. Lots of walks, relaxing outside (baby in the shade, of course)...it's something I've wanted to do since I started working full time...and now I'll get to do it...for the best reason possible!

But thank goodness we still have about six months left...we have a LOT to do! Issue #1 - Figuring out how to fit the contents of our guest bedroom into our office...without taking much out of the office. Hmmm...

1 comment:

KathyKim said...

Hi Amy and Craig...Fisrt let us congratulate you both, a little late in coming, but congrats anyways!

Wow, your 1st baby, we couldn't be happier for you both.

This is interesting, never thought of this with Erik. Where do you find the time?
Just think at least you will be in summer clothes and not in heavy winter clothes when you have the "ripper".
Well good luck and Take Care!
Kathy, Kim and Erik