Friday, December 19, 2008

Snow and Shiners

Ugh...quite the day today. As much as I love a white Christmas, I'm not convinced this is the way to do it. It's still snowing here. Craig is still working and will have to drive through this craziness to get home. It's a little worrisome. But Jacob's in bed and this is as much peace and relaxation as I've had all day. I'm beat. As I mentioned in my last post, I was worried about today's snowstorm. I got up this morning dreading it, and took a deep breath when I saw the snow gently falling this morning at 8:30 as we left the house. After dropping Jacob off at day care, I came out and my back window was already covered. I had only been in there less than 10 minutes and it didn't seem like it was snowing that hard. Yikes. The roads were ok going in, and I sat at my desk all day staring at the snow. It just kept coming. It never looked particularly menacing...just a lot of small flakes blowing around. But sure enough, it piled up. The office closed at noon but considering this was my last day before nearly two weeks away, I didn't want to rush out. I went out to lunch with my Friday lunch buddies (two guys that work game production for the Amerks) and there seemed to be a good six inches or so in places. Driving didn't look fun, but other than the blowing snow it wasn't bad.

I stuck around the office until 3:30 finishing things up, then headed out. The drive wasn't that bad. Slow, but okay. I mean, if I would have been going faster it would have been bad, but at a reasonable speed it was fine. I was a little scared that there weren't really any tire tracks in the snow on the highway, just patches, but it all went fine. My first problem was when I got up to Greece and started running into piles of snow in the road. When I pulled in to day care, the hill to get in was a little scary, and I got stuck at the top for about 30 seconds. A couple rocks and I was moving again, only to end up stuck in my parking space when I came back out. Oh, and this time my back window was opaque again a minute after I brushed it off. It took me about six tries but I finally got out of my space and back on the road. I was hopeful as I drove down the street because it seemed like there wasn't a lot of plow debris at the end of driveways along our street. However, as I pulled into our driveway, I came to a standstill. Ugh. I was mostly in the driveway at that point, which was good. I opened the garage, hopped through a foot of snow up the driveway, and came back down with a shovel to start digging out. I dug around my tires and tried again. No luck. I think I tried one more time and straightened out a bit, but no real movement. I had no choice but to leave the car running with Jacob in the backseat and start shoveling a path for my car. Luckily he fell asleep again despite having had a two hour nap at daycare, which is almost unheard of for him. Fortunately, our neighbor across the street came over and helped me dig, and after 20-30 minutes, we had finished the path and I got in the garage. I got Jacob into the house and ran back out for five minutes to finish shoveling where my car had been.

Needless to say, I've been pretty exhausted tonight. It's a little scary considering this is night #1 of nearly two weeks home with Jacob. Granted, a portion of that time will be spent with family so we will have plenty of extra arms looking to hold him, but I will have a lot of days home with him, too. Hopefully during that time I can officially catch up on my sleep and keep up that energy with Jacob. He'll also have a bunch of new fun toys to play with, so that should break up the day a bit too. I just don't want to feel like I did at the end of my maternity leave, where I was ready for work again because I needed a break from baby land. I spend all day at work thinking about him, so I really want to enjoy this time off. But I'm actually very nervous about it. I don't want Jacob to be bored, and I don't want to spend all day staring at all of the stuff around the house that I need to get done but can't because Jacob takes up most of my time. We'll see how it goes...God knows I have a ton of wrapping to do in the next few days and Craig will be working for most of it.

As for the other part of this post's title, Jacob came home with his first official boo-boo yesterday. He's had scratches here and there, not to mention his little arm hickey way back when, but this is a legitimate bruise. It's tough to see, but you can see it right above his right eye in the picture below:

He did it to himself, flailing his arms like he does so often these days, only with a toy in his hand. Apparently he didn't cry. He just whined a bit so they knew he did it, and that was about it. At least it doesn't bother him. It looks a lot worse than it is, I think. Just a little tiny shiner for a little tiny guy!

Here are a couple more pictures that I couldn't resist:

Finally, wanna hear something crazy? Six months ago right now I was in some pretty serious labor. Although, at this point I probably couldn't feel it thanks to that fantastic epidural. Jacob will hit the six month mark at 2:40am, and I can hardly believe it. Hopefully I'll have a chance to blog more about that this weekend. This post is already long enough! Stay warm and stay safe!

No comments: