Friday, December 5, 2008

"No"

I keep wondering when it's appropriate to start disciplining. I know Jacob still doesn't have a concept of right or wrong, but if we don't start now, will it be a problem down the road? Fortunately right now I'm just talking about basic stuff...telling him no when he goes to touch something he shouldn't--primarily food or beverages--or when he pulls hair or glasses or squeezes a little too tight when his nails need trimming. I feel funny telling him no at this point, but again, if we don't start it now, will there ever be a good time? Should we just get him used to the word now before he knows enough to ignore it?

I definitely worry about him getting older and more mobile and learning how to disobey. One of the bloggers I follow discussed that today...that she's finding raising a toddler to be harder than going through cancer. As much as she loves him, she's at the end of her rope when it comes to keeping him under control. He runs everywhere, gets into everything, and has a bit of a daredevil streak. Stuff like that scares the crap out of me. I just don't know if I'll have the patience or the energy. Right now, even though he can get frustrating at times, I know Jacob doesn't know any better when he's being difficult. That's the only way he knows how to react. I know that the experts say that manipulation can begin around now, where babies figure out how to get mom and dad's attention with a little extra crying or some other similar device. There's definitely a fine line between giving your child prompt attention and giving them the chance to resolve something themselves. You don't want to ignore a crying baby, but you also don't want to get them too used to parents that drop everything the second the baby lets out a peep.

I like having this "perfect" child right now and will be a little sad the day he knowingly disobeys. I know it will happen but I just hope that we can be good, strong parents that teach him right from the beginning so we can minimize those moments. The better the foundation, the better he'll be as he gets older. I had a strict but loving upbringing and I hope I can find that balance with my own children.

It should be a fun weekend ahead. Tonight Jacob spent a good chunk of the evening napping on me--must have been a busy day at day care! After a bath he went to bed pretty much without incident. Craig is off tomorrow, which is also his birthday. We're going out to dinner and a movie and leaving Jacob with Lori. She's definitely looking forward to it, and I think we're both excited for a night out alone...only our third since he was born, I think. Sunday Craig has to work so it will just be me and Jacob. At some point I hope to get our tree decorated. I got most of the house done tonight after Jacob went to bed, but the tree is still empty. Jacob was pretty entranced by the lights tonight, though. He just couldn't stop staring for the longest time. Very cute! Off to bed now....happy weekend!

No comments: