Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Letting Go

I've discovered lately that I have a tough time letting go of the past, at least when it comes to Jacob. Every time he grows out of something, I have a hard time putting it away for the last time. I guess I grow very attached to his little clothes, and I can hardly believe when something that was once so big on him is magically now too small. I probably keep him in things longer than I should for that reason, but then again...things that don't fit him in one part of the body probably fit him in another, so it's tough to make the call. For example, his arms are long so his sleeves get short, but the body of the shirt will fit him. Or his legs are too long for the pants, but his skinny little waist fits in them perfectly. But it killed me to put away his 0-3 month onesies, and the 3-6's are now in the back of the drawer. I still haven't taken the time to put away his summer clothes, though we may need the closet space after Christmas!

I also had some mixed feelings about starting solid foods. It's a big step, and it's generally a great one. It's just...starting that means that he's growing up. He's taking steps toward not needing me to be his nearly sole provider when it comes to mealtime. It's a bit of a loss of control or something. It's a new world of high chairs and spoons and messiness. Definitely dreading the messiness. So far, though, it hasn't been going well. He spits a lot of it back out and then gets fussy. I don't know if he doesn't like it, doesn't realize it will ease his hunger pangs like milk, or isn't down with being confined to a chair instead of snuggling while he eats. We have to keep working on it, but I think for convenience sake we're going to give it a rest over Christmas. No sense dragging everything along if he's only going to get through a little bit before freaking out. We'll try again this weekend.

Ok, time to go get packed for a busy few days...if I don't get a chance to blog, Merry Christmas to everyone!

No comments: