Friday, August 15, 2008

A Week of Day Care

So...one week of day care is almost done. It's been a pretty good week, I guess. They're happy with his behavior so far and find him downright adorable (note the dimple story yesterday--she mentioned it to me again today), so that's good. He only had one diaper blowout. They seem happy enough with his eating, though I'm not sure I am because he should be eating between 4 and 6 oz. and he's not getting there with a lot of feedings. Not sure if it's his displeasure with formula, that they're not waiting until he's hungry enough (they say he falls asleep a lot...he doesn't do it that much to me anymore), or if the formula is making him gassy and therefore too miserable to eat. They haven't noticed a ton of gas, but it's tough to tell because he's normally so grunty anyway. I think that's one of the hardest things about day care...you're not the person that spends the most time with your child, so you have to rely on short conversations and notes in a log book to figure out what's up with your own kid. And even then...there's a handful of people handling him during the day so it's probably even tough for them to get any sort of consistent impression of him on any given day.

As a result, I'm still a little up in the air about feedings. He's nursing pretty great, actually. Pumping is going better these days. I'm getting about 2-3 ounces per side each time. One side is better than the other, which is so odd. I can get a ton out of one side rather quickly, while the other side might eventually almost catch up, but it takes the full 10 minute pumping session to do it. I pump two or three times per day, depending on what time Jacob wakes up and eats in the morning. It's a decent supply, though I'm still sending two formula bottles and two breast milk bottles per day. I need to ask the doctor next week if it's worth forcing the formula on him if I have extra breast milk to send. Now that he's gotten started on it, should we just keep going and get him used to it, or if we cut down on it now and have to bring it back later, will his tastes have evolved later on to accept it more easily? If nothing else I may still try out a couple of other formulations to see if they're kinder to his system. We had to give him some formula last night when we went out to dinner, and I don't think he's pooped since (as of 8:30 this morning). He was grunting quite a bit this morning. I know formula babies poop less, but yikes! I just don't want him uncomfortable. Amazingly, that's probably the one thing on my list right now for his doctor's appointment.

As for day care itself, I don't know if it's getting easier to leave him there or not. I still feel a little bad, but it seems like he's in good hands and there's nothing we can do about it right now, so it has to be ok. It's a funny feeling walking out of there without him each morning. Part of me feels like something's missing...I don't have the usual weight of his carrier and diaper bags, and there's a void in my rear view mirror because there's just an empty car seat base. On the other hand, there's a certain amount of freedom. Having a child is such a huge, all-encompassing responsibility, and a total life change. Once I drop him off at day care, there's a release from that, to some degree, where I can go about life like I did before having a baby. I can go to my job, hang out with adults, and eat lunch without waiting for him to go to sleep or comforting him with one hand while eating with the other. While he's always on my mind, it's still nice to have that little bit of freedom to go about life without having to go through his schedule and figure out if my plans will work with his. I hope that's not a bad thing. So in that way, day care is nice. But when he starts smiling a lot and getting really fun, I'll definitely miss seeing that stuff all day!

One final thought for the day...does it count as sleeping through the night if the night is pretty short? Last night Jacob wouldn't fall asleep. I couldn't get him content enough to put him in bed until 11:30 or 12, but once he was in bed, he didn't wake up until a little after 5:30. If I would have gotten up and fed him as usual, I would have had to stay up and start my day. Instead I decided to feed him a little shorter, then get a little extra sleep, and feed him a bit again before leaving for day care. It was a brilliant plan except that gas and sleepiness prevented him from really getting a good feeding at any point. But the five-ish hours of sleep were nice! Anyway...

Have a nice weekend!

No comments: