Thursday, August 14, 2008

News and notes

Just some random stuff today...

First, I'm very excited because we found out yesterday that my brother and his wife are having a GIRL! It's funny, though, because as much as I've wanted to be able to buy girl stuff (a result of many nephews and now a son of my own), it would have been cool if they had a boy, for a couple reasons. First of all, Jacob could have had a boy cousin his same age. I guess he'll have to settle for a girl cousin and boy cousins one and two years older! Also, John is really the last shot at passing along the Binkley name. Two of my dad's brothers each had three girls, and his other brother isn't married...so John was the only hope. It remains to be seen whether or not they'll give it another shot...though I know personally I'm in no rush to do it again (though we will!). It will definitely be interesting to see my brother with a daughter!

I also found out yesterday that a friend of mine from college is pregnant with baby #2! Congrats, Corrina!

The consensus seems to be that Jacob is really cute. From the reactions to the pictures I have at my desk to the comments by the women at day care, he is adored by all! The one woman at day care was remarking to me this morning that when Jacob was awake and aware yesterday, the dimple made an appearance and they were calling people in to see it! The dimple is definitely my favorite, and I can't wait until he smiles even more and shows it off all the time. Right now his smiles are few and far between (a couple glimpses of them each day), but we're hitting that magic eight week point where they start coming a little more frequently. Let's hope.

I tried to weigh Jacob on our scale at home last night, and while I'm not sure it was totally accurate, it came out at 11.2 pounds, which seems about right. We'll find out the official word next Thursday. I'm actually more interested to see his length. Considering how tight in the crotch his 0-3 month onesies is getting, I know he's grown.

I'm realizing that the sleep deprivation thing is much more difficult now that I'm back at work (duh). You'd think that being home all day would leave me a little more bored and sleepy than work, but sitting at a computer all day (no matter how interesting the project) is tough. Craig and I both tend to conk out at some point in the evening, which is making it extra tough to get Jacob on any sort of good schedule. It's so hard when Jacob has a bad night or we accidentally fall asleep on the couch until 1am, because I have to be up early and can't make it up with a nap later in the day. It doesn't help that I have a boatload of things to do each evening, from dinner and dishes to washing bottles and breast pump parts (every single night) to any other errands that need to be done. Then it's more of the same in the morning...though I haven't had the same morning routine yet. It all depends on when Jacob wakes up and how hungry he is when he does. Some days I feed him first, some days I don't...but making up bottles and getting a baby cleaned up and ready to go adds quite a bit to my morning. It's quite the departure from my usual quiet mornings of the past where I struggled just to get myself ready in time.

This evening I head back to the gym for the first time since about 36 weeks. Back to my class, though a different version of it. I am definitely looking forward to going, because this flabby bit that's left on my belly is starting to drive me nuts. It's not just the whole "looking fat" thing...I just don't want to have to go out and replace clothes that still don't fit! I'm definitely going to have to ease myself back into workouts, but I think it will actually come back to me relatively quickly. I just may not be able to walk tomorrow.

Beyond that it's a busy night, hopefully checking out shoes for the wedding I'm in in a few more weeks and then packing up for a weekend visit with Craig's family. Let's just hope I can stay awake long enough to get it all done!

No comments: