Monday, August 18, 2008

Planning Impaired

Parenthood is funny. On one hand it turns you into a hyper-planner. Before leaving the house, you make sure you have everything the baby could possibly need. No trip to the grocery store is complete without double and triple checking your reserves, because you never know when you'll have the chance to go there again. You organize stuff, do your best to plan every moment of the day around the baby's schedule, and drive yourself nuts just trying to make sure you haven't forgotten anything for fear it could adversely affect your child. However, the dark side of this planning craziness is that sometimes the simplest of things gets overlooked, or in all of your planning you get too distracted to look out at the big picture. It could be something as simple as forgetting the baby bag you so meticulously packed (hasn't happened yet...knock on wood) or, in my case, a couple events looming large in the next three weeks. It's not that I've forgotten them...on the contrary, they're on my mind a lot. It's just that Jacob keeps me busy enough to lose track of just how long I'm waiting on things.

For example, in three weeks I am in the wedding of one of my best friends from college (hi, Lois!) and I need to get my dress altered. I have no doubt that I'll be able to get it done. I got some great recommendations from co-workers on places to go, and I'm sure that by the time I get past the obstacles I'll talk about in a second, someone will be able to do it no problem. But see, I have been purposely putting it off because I wanted to see how much baby weight I could lose before getting it done. I couldn't exactly get it altered a month ago, because I knew more weight would come off before the wedding. Now I think I've leveled off a bit (though I am getting back in the gym--but I don't think once a week is going to make a huge difference in the next three weeks), so I'm ready to get it done. The problem is that I haven't been able to run out and check all the usual places for shoes. I need a pair of silver shoes, and as it is for a one-time event, I don't want to spend a ton. I have one pair already in my possession, but they were for another wedding and are the single most painful shoes ever. They'll work if absolutely necessary, but I have a couple more places I want to check first...it's just that getting out and doing it is that much harder when I either have to take Jacob with me or have someone to watch him. Not quite the "get-up-and-go" schedule I used to have. It's just that time keeps ticking and I'm so busy that it tends to go a little quicker than I'd like. It'll get done, but it's my priority (hopefully tonight) to get it done and move on to the alteration phase.

Even worse is my planning for Jacob's baptism. First it took a while to figure out a date and get Craig to check with his family. Thanks to being so busy with Jacob, that phase stretched out much longer than it should have. Then I kept forgetting to call the church. Then when I finally did, it took a few days to get a call back. Now, here we are, less than two weeks out and I have yet to send out invitations. Again, another priority for the next couple nights. But yeah, in case you're wondering, the date is August 31. It's Labor Day weekend, so it eases up any travel issues. And yeah, it's coincidentally my birthday, and a big one at that. I'm ignoring the end of my 20s right now, so pardon me if I don't seem too excited. I'm more than willing to share my day with Jacob, though it makes me worry that gathering up friends and family could allow for more celebration on the birthday end than I would like. Anyway...it's probably just going to be close family and friends, so if you're among them, feel free to mark it on your calendar. I just feel like a moron for letting it go on this long...and as much as I'd like to chalk it up to new parenthood, aren't all people planning a baptism dealing with a new baby? Yeah. It should be fun, though.

And because I just couldn't hold them off until tomorrow, here are a couple pictures from the weekend. They're pretty similar, but I couldn't pick a favorite, so here they are:

No comments: