Thursday, July 17, 2008

Unintentional Avoidance

Back when I was in high school, I used to have to get up very early to get ready for school. I hated it. The sound of an alarm clock that sounds like the one I used still sends shivers up my spine. I remember having a couple issues that prevented me from getting up promptly. First, there were times that I would integrate the alarm into a dream. There's still one dream I remember where I was frantically running all over the place trying to figure out what that sound was...and sure enough, my alarm had been going off all along. Second, there were times that I would dream I had gotten up and started to get ready. I'd be feeling good, and then suddenly realize, oh crap...I'm still in bed and haven't actually gotten up, and now I'm extra late!

Well, now that I have to get up at all sorts of crazy hours with Jacob, I seem to have picked up those bad habits again! Quite frequently I've been thinking I've gotten up, only to finally wake up and realize I dreamt it...and poor Jacob has been crying that whole time. I haven't incorporated the cries into a dream much, but I did last night. On the bright side, that happened at about 4:45am, and that was Jacob's first and only time up! I think he ate around 10:30-11, fell asleep around 11:30, might have made some noises around 3:30 that woke me up, but he stayed asleep and didn't start screaming until 4:45...at which point I apparently only half heard him and briefly experienced the cries in a dream. I think I figured it out pretty quickly, though, was up for an hour, then went back to bed until Jacob woke up again around 8:45. I didn't sleep that whole time since Craig was up and about, but it was still nice.

And here I thought I'd be one of those parents that hears a pin drop and sits right up in bed.
To be fair, Jacob makes a LOT of noise all the time. He grunts a lot as he's waking up, so I generally wait a few minutes to see if it turns into an all-out cry or if he eventually drifts back off to sleep. So I guess I don't react to every noise because some of it is Jacob "crying wolf"...but not waking up the second I hear him is throwing me off a bit. I don't want to unintentially neglect his needs with these dreams!

In any event, it was nice to only get up once in the night...and it makes me wish he'd start sleeping through the night more often, and start doing it soon! It leaves me more refreshed and in a better mood for a potentially long, hot day at home. Monday's central air can't come soon enough :)

No comments: