Thursday, February 7, 2008

Belly Watch

I have never been one of those people whose chest gets talked to more than their face. Not that my chest isn't perfectly acceptable, but I guess it doesn't really draw attention to itself. Or at least, I've never noticed that it has. Considering how many men I used to work around at my old job, I'm not sure if I should be thankful, insulted, or worried that I'm really unobservant. In any event, the only reason I bring this up is because I'm increasingly noticing people staring at my midsection. Once they see my face enough to notice who I am, I've seen so many people's eyes dart down to my stomach to provide themselves with a progress report on my belly. It gets even better when they share that report with me ("Oooh, it's getting bigger!" "Ummm, yeah...") Just what every woman wants to hear...that their stomach is getting bigger. Pregnant or not, it still doesn't sound good to hear. It's sort of like picking on your sibling. If you do it, it's ok. If someone else does, not so ok.

Sadly, I know I've probably done that to so many pregnant women over the years. It's natural, so I really can't blame anyone. The belly is the only outward way you know someone is pregnant, and when you haven't seen them in a while, it's your only way to monitor their progress without having to directly ask about it. Working with almost all women probably makes this issue that much more obvious, because women are just more into pregnancy than men...so when every person I pass in the hall is a woman, most likely more people are looking at my belly than would in your average office.

Like I said, I can't really blame anyone for doing it, so don't worry about that if you catch yourself doing it. It's not so much that it bothers me, specifically. It just throws me off a bit. Again, I've never really caught many people giving me a once over or talking to a body part that wasn't my face, so for people to instantly check out my stomach region (an area that, let's face it, is not the favorite body part of most women) is just weird for me.

I also had my first near-touch today. Fortunately it wasn't by some random person (I might freak out on those people a bit), but still, despite the fact it sometimes seems like I have a little alien growing in there, it's still my stomach...and really, no one has touched that in a while other than Craig and maybe a doctor or two.

I know it's something every pregnant woman has to deal with at some point, and I'm sure I'll deal, too. It's just an odd experience when your stomach finally becomes its own little freak show.

No comments: