Monday, February 11, 2008

The Downfalls of Being Girly

I've never considered myself particularly girly, but relative to a lot of other people I suppose I can be. While I'm not always the most fashionable, I do try to at least look put together. Rare is the day that I don't put on makeup or do my hair...and if I'm leaving the house it's a must. Of course, I'm too lazy to keep up with makeup and stuff all day, so by the end of the day even "put together" might be a stretch, but all things considered, I try to care about what I look like on a day-to-day basis.

I've often rolled my eyes a bit at pregnant women that avoid maternity clothes like the plague. I think almost everyone knows someone like that...the woman that lived in sweats and oversized t-shirts for pretty much the entire pregnancy. My goal was to not do that. I wanted to be "cute pregnant". Some of the clothes I've bought so far have helped in that quest. I've been focusing on work clothes, mostly because I want to look presentable at work, which takes up 5 of my 7 days each week. And, honestly, work clothes were easier...I knew exactly what I was looking for: empire-waist tops made out of cheap polyester-esque material. They don't need to be ironed, which is a bonus, and they generally look nice.

Well, this weekend was the first weekend where my normal jeans were feeling pretty snug. I broke in the maternity jeans on Friday, so they have entered my rotation. However, upon trying to dress down I discovered a problem: I'd rather wear maternity jeans, but I don't have any casual maternity tops...and almost none of my normal clothes (that still fit) are long enough to cover the panel on my maternity jeans. So, I decided to do another shopping run yesterday. I ventured all the way to the other side of the county to go to the other Rochester-area Old Navy with maternity in-store and another Goodwill location. I ended up going to Kohl's (hadn't gone there yet--plan to hit up my local location this week, though) and Target as well, because you never know what other locations will have. I ended up with two dresses (not sure about the one, but the other was a steal from Goodwill--I tried on the same dress at Target a couple weeks ago, but it wasn't my size--and it was only $6!) and a shirt, so I guess the trip was worth it. However, I ended up completely frustrated because I tried on a ridiculous number of other things that looked like crap. Why is every plain, long sleeved maternity t-shirt completely unflattering? Right now anything fitted is a no-no because I am really looking lumpy...belly, belly button, roll of fat, small love handles where the maternity pants end (downfall of low-waist maternity pants, I guess), etc. I did try on full panel pants as well, and pants past my belly button might make me crazy, so I don't know if I'll be able to do those.

All in all, it was really frustrating. I have no idea what to wear these days. So, back to my point in the title of this post...the downfalls of being girly are not owning any sweatpants or oversized t-shirts to begin with, and being physically repulsed by the idea of wearing them in public even if I did. Ugh.

On the bright side, today marks the halfway point--20 weeks!!

No comments: