Saturday, May 31, 2008

Going Early

I know that by this time in a pregnancy, many women are dying to go into labor early. The discomfort is getting to them and they're getting anxious, and going early relieves them of those last weeks of torture. I am not one of those women. I really don't want to go early. I also don't want to go late, so I'm hoping to hit my due date perfectly. Wishful thinking, I know, but a girl can dream.

There's way too much to do before the baby comes to go early. The baby's room is still in piles around the perimeter of the room, and there's still no furniture. We have it ordered and will hopefully have it in the next week or two, at which point I can start doing laundry and putting things away/in place. But until then there's not a lot of other things we can do. Some, but not a lot. I still haven't packed my hospital bag, but there's a couple reasons for that. First of all, I use a lot of the stuff that I would pack...toiletries, clothes, etc. Second, in most cases we'll have some time to kill before heading off to the hospital...we can't go until contractions are five minutes apart for an hour, and sometimes that takes a while to get there. So I suppose I need to get some sort of bag started, and I can add to it when we have that time to kill. It'll keep my mind off the pain, anyway.

I also have the work issue to deal with...that my goal is to work until the end. I'd rather not go early and leave work undone, you know? Even if my backup is in place and I should have a laptop to bring home with me just in case, I'd rather not have to do damage control in the event I go early. I'd like a nice, clean break.

I may start thinking differently in the next couple weeks as the weather warms up and I continue to get more uncomfortable, but still....there's a lot to do. Like I said, I don't want to go late either, because it will be hot by then, it could screw up my maternity leave schedule, and I'm not sure how I feel about the 4th of July...probably no fireworks and picnic for me this year either way!

I'm optimistic that I won't go early just because I don't have any risk factors, I'm not that big (relatively speaking...my belly is huge but I know it could be much bigger), and the baby is still really high. I may find out differently this week when I go to the doctor and start my weekly visits (complete with internal exams for the first time since the beginning of this process), but for now I'm just ignoring all of the friendly folks that keep telling me stories about how all of their friends have gone early. I can't do much about it either way, though now I start getting into the "Oh, crap...what if my water breaks in public or in some other really inconvenient place?" fears. Hard to believe there's less than a month to go!

No comments: