Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Class is back in session...

Last night marked our return to baby classes. We took our third child care class, which is actually the first in the series. The theme was "Preparing for Baby". It was taught by a different instructor with a different set of couples. This group seemed even odder than our last group...definitely more diverse if nothing else. One couple was Asian (like, directly from there--thick accents), another couple had a woman from Grenada (who, incidentally, is going back there with the baby after birth for a few months for school--her poor husband is staying here), and another couple included (from what we could tell, based on the presence of their guide dog) a sight-impaired woman. For some reason we just haven't felt particularly drawn to any of the couples in these classes. I have no idea why. As a whole we seem to be among the more laid back folks at any of these classes. It always feels like a lot of the couples are baby research junkies, popping up with random facts or questions that would never have occurred to us. It's not a bad thing, but it's just odd. Most of the couples seemed like they were way more prepared than us, regardless of how far along they were. I guess that's good, but seriously, I am in no rush to strap the car seat base into my car yet, nor do I feel like the nursery should be totally ready yet...and yet, many people seemed to be right about there. I know that the more we do now, the less we have to do later, but still...I'm not going to make myself crazy with it all.

This class disappointed me a bit, though. I would have liked to see how our previous instructor would have handled it. This instructor was more into ice breakers and sharing with the group...which is fine in some cases. However, I'd rather be taught the facts than rely on casual conversations to cover all of the important topics. However, like the past two classes, there were a couple nuggets of good information, including an instructional video on car seat installation and a reminder to lower our hot water heater temperature. My biggest beef with the class was that the vast majority of the actual instruction was 1) depressing and 2) seemingly geared more toward toddler life than newborn life. There was a lot of safety video footage...picking up small objects from under furniture to prevent choking, preventing fire hazards...all very important stuff, but it made me feel like there's a million dangers out there and no matter how much caution we use, something's going to get us when we're not looking. Ugh. In addition, a lot of it was geared more toward mobile toddlers than a newborn baby. We had already covered a lot of the safety type things in our Baby's First Year class, so this just didn't quite do it for me. Since the class was supposed to be about preparing for a baby, I was hoping instead for some helpful nursery organization tips or baby registry must-haves. Not so much.

We have now officially completed our child care series, though I don't know how much more prepared I really feel. As a whole the classes provided some helpful information, but they could definitely be improved. Tonight begins a whole new ballgame, though...childbirth class! We're a tad apprehensive about it all. Maybe it's the 2 pillows and comforter we're supposed to bring. Maybe it's the Hollywood image of a bunch of women sitting in a circle practicing funny breathing with clueless/overeager fathers-to-be. Maybe it's the concept that they want me to have an object to use as a focal point during labor. Again, I'm sure the information they'll present will be useful, but some of the methods they use to communicate that might drive me crazy. If nothing else the hospital tour should be interesting and useful, whichever week that comes along. Should be interesting...

No comments: