Monday, May 12, 2008

To celebrate or not to celebrate...

Yesterday being Mother's Day brought up an interesting situation. Obviously by definition I'm not quite a mother yet, but it's not that far away either. People see the belly and equate it with motherhood, but like I said the other day, I don't feel like I've done anything worthy of being honored as a mother yet. Regardless, I was wished a Happy Mother's Day by quite a few people.

Taking extra care of my body (and by extension the baby) has been about the extent of it...that, and any time spent preparing. Admittedly, the preparation time probably hasn't been what it should be yet either. Every time I get asked if the nursery is ready, or we're in a baby class and people start listing off all the things they've done, I start feeling guilty that we haven't done anything. We haven't bought, let alone assembled, a piece of furniture. We haven't painted or hung a border--not that we're necessarily planning on it. Craig felt inspired to go around and baby proof some outlets the other night, but I discouraged him from going crazy because I don't want to spend the next six months removing outlet covers when the baby isn't mobile (or even born!).

Now that we have all of our shower gifts at home and in our possession, I can start working on that, but right now if you looked at the baby's room now you'd see that it's not even close to resembling anything baby-like. Just stacks of boxes and bags waiting to be emptied and organized. We'll probably ease some of that preparation guilt tomorrow, because it's going to be all baby, all day. It's day care day. We have appointments to stop into four day care centers to get some info and check them out. I'm afraid it's going to be a bit torturous, just because every time I think about sending my six-week old baby off to day care, it kills me. However, maybe some of them will look good enough that I won't have to feel that guilty...until the first ear infection pops up, of course. Ugh. Then tomorrow night is childbirth class #2. Hopefully it is as good as the first one.

So much to do, and so little time...

No comments: