Monday, May 19, 2008

Finally some progress!

At long last, I made some progress with the baby stuff this weekend. Quite a bit of progress, actually. You might not be able to tell from looking in the baby's room, but it's much better than it was. Piles of bags and boxes spread all over the floor has been transformed into organized piles up against the walls. All of the stuff to be washed is grouped together, all of the toiletry items are together, and everything has just been organized so I can see things when I need them. It was nice to get into it all and see what we had, and get a better idea of where things stood.

We made a quick run to Target last night to take back a bunch of stuff (mostly duplicates), and then grabbed some of the stuff we didn't get with the store credit we had amassed from the returns. We were in and out in less than 20 minutes, and we made a lot of progress in that time. We still have a couple more Target returns based on my findings once I went through all of the clothes and bedding, not to mention a handful of things to exchange at Babies 'R' Us (all of that is going toward the furniture at this point), but by the time we get that done, we should be in good shape. We still do need the furniture, which is sort of important to start organizing things to actually look like a nursery, but at least we're getting there. It felt good to get through everything, and I'm making good progress on thank you notes, too, which felt good as well.

In other news, we have a pediatrician! We went for our little pre-natal visit today, to make sure the place that we selected was what we were looking for. We had picked it based on a few factors--first, that one of the doctors there was suggested by my doctor...though we actually have a different one; second, the location...less than five minutes from home; and third, that they are affiliated with our hospital, so our doctor can come check the baby when it's born. They sort of randomly assigned a doctor since we didn't have a specific preference, and I was really thrilled with her. She's young (probably mid-30s), very friendly, and is a big breastfeeding booster, so even though they don't have a specific lactation consultant (thanks for the tip, Corrina!), she has a lot of experience and would be more than happy to help me through things if I have any issues once I'm out of the hospital. That's nice to know. The best part about the practice is that they have amazing availability. They're open from 8am to 8pm, Monday through Friday, and mornings on the weekends. That is awesome, because we won't necessarily have to miss work to take the baby in. Beyond that someone's always on call, so that's good to know. They also have the ability to do some urgent care stuff, to keep you out of the emergency room if at all possible. They can do stitches or glue, and other things like that, right there in the office. Let's hope we won't need that service, but it's nice to know it's there. And how cool are they that the waiting room had two flat screens playing Madagasgar when we walked in :) They also had a sick child/well child separation in the waiting area, and there were no toys to spread germs...definitely a bonus.

So, yeah, one less thing to worry about for now...I guess we'll know for sure when we actually have a baby to treat, but the doctor seems really genuine and interested in making sure we're comfortable, so I can only assume that will transfer over to the baby's treatment as well. A nice relief on a Monday, that's for sure!

No comments: