Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Comparisons...

Having had this blog since early in my last pregnancy is definitely paying dividends these days because it's interesting to look back and see how things were going around this time last time.  It's a little hard to tell because I don't always know precisely where I was in the pregnancy, but I can approximate here and there based on when I did mention how many weeks I was.  I was just looking back, and around this time I posted a bit about my belly.  I posted a pic (I will get another one up here soon, I promise) and discussed a bit about my belly's shape and how I was feeling. 

So...where do things stand now?  Well, I'm nearly 23 weeks, which doesn't even seem possible.  The belly is pretty prominent these days and as a whole I'm pleased with it.  My belly button is still a sinkhole in the middle of it, but I suppose it beats an outie.  I never got one last time and hope that holds true again.  There's also a little blob of fat at the bottom of it, which I suppose is where my mom-pouch used to be.  It makes it look not quite as round as I'd like it to when I'm wearing something fitted, but it's not bad.  I'm pretty sure, though, that I'm carrying lower than last time.  Last time my belly sat very high, and while it's not hanging low this time, I feel like it's lower because it seems like there's more space between my chest and belly.  Last time I remember the waistbands of my shirts being a little smooshed in that area, but it doesn't seem to be an issue this time.  I could be wrong and things could still change, but it's interesting.  Another reason I think that is because my pants are bugging me more.  The waistbands feel like they're tighter or at least squeezing me in an odd spot.  I remember some of that last time, but I feel like it wasn't until later.  I'm up about 11 or 12 pounds (I started at around the same weight last time), which is slightly more than last time.  But I don't really think I look any worse, so maybe it's in my chest or something.  Last time I mentioned feeling like the area above my belly button was chubby, which I don't feel is the case at all this time.   However, I think I'm still trending a couple weeks ahead this time, and that may have been an issue this time before the belly rounded out.  Hard to tell.  But really, for the most part I like how the belly looks.  Perhaps this time I'll have to take some bare belly pics for posterity.

As far as baby movement, that's finally starting to pick up.  It's still not consistent, but on a day like today when I was wearing jeans that were squeezing me when I sat at my desk, I felt a lot of movement.  I could see and feel some of it.  The other day I physically had to shove the baby over a bit (first time of many in his life, I'm sure) because he was parked on my right side (Jacob loved that spot, too), and it was really uncomfortable.  I just had to push a little bit and he shifted.  Today he did much the same and I tried to give him a little rub and nail scratch.  He didn't seem to respond directly, but who knows what he's thinking or feeling in there.  Does touch feel good, or is he like, "Stop pressing on me!"?  The kicks are becoming a lot more obvious on the outside, though, which is entertaining.  Still eagerly awaiting his first set of hiccups, though!  Inevitably they'll be when Jacob used to get his most of the time--right when I'm trying to fall asleep!

As a whole I'm feeling good these days.  My energy is acceptable.  I have uncomfortable moments, but right now it's manageable.  My round ligament pain hasn't been too bad lately (just a couple pains when I was walking while Jacob was trick-or-treating and after my workout last week), and (knock on wood) I still haven't had any leg cramps.  Thank goodness for that.  How I feel now is a far cry from how I felt during those miserable two months of the summer.  That period alone is what makes me wonder if I could really ever do this again, assuming the other issues with having a third child worked themselves out.  But now is perfectly acceptable and even fun a lot of the time. 

My one concern at this point is how long I'll be able to continue working out.  I kept going to a class right up through about 7-1/2 months last time, and now at 5ish months (I think), I have moments where I'm not sure I'll make it that long.  I'm already having to do a lot of modifications in the class I take right now.  This week I felt fine afterward, but last week was tough.  Last time around I think I worked out twice a week or so, and this time I just haven't been able to pull it off.  My evenings are too precious.  Time with Jacob and time to relax are rare enough.  That could certainly impact how much weight I gain and my general fitness level, but we'll see.  At this point I'm just hoping to make it until Christmas.  Inevitably that time of year is hard to squeeze workouts into, so my fear is that I'll take time off and lose the level I was at, but by then I'll be at a point in the pregnancy where I can't get back without risking an injury or complications.  So, if I can make it to Christmas still going to class, I'll be doing well.  That's still considerably earlier than last time, but the class is different and the timing is what it is.  Whatever I can do to stay active...

Anyway, things are good.  I'm looking forward to Thanksgiving and even more to Christmas (already, which is weird).  Must be the eternal optimism that comes from being pregnant and looking ahead to the future... 

No comments: