Tuesday, May 1, 2012

"Wild" Saturday

In my last post I mentioned that we had a little visitor in our backyard at the end of Jacob's Saturday nap.  We've known for a while that we have a groundhog living under our shed.  I had yet to actually see him.  While I was out doing yardwork on Saturday, I noticed his little nose peeking out from a hole under the shed.  Later on, when I went to wake Jacob up from his nap, I saw this...
Sorry, it's a little fuzzy because it was majorly zoomed through a window screen.  No idea what he's doing with his little paws...
This is what I found when I went in to wake Jacob up.  We had a busy morning so this scene didn't surprise me at all...
Yes, he's still sleeping on the floor.  He's getting the stiff-arm from that brown monkey, right across his eyes.  He was OUT and had a hard time waking up, even after 2-1/2 hours of rest as of 5pm!
Once Jacob finally woke up, we were tracking the groundhog's movements from our windows.  I caught this picture a little after the first.
He's so big!
Then, as we were looking out one window trying to follow the groundhog's movements, this bird caught my eye!
It's a female cardinal!
The orange beak was striking, and the coloring in general was pretty.  It's hard to see, but she has a pretty red patch of feathers on top of her head.

After watching the wildlife, we headed out for a bit of basketball in the driveway.  Keeping with the theme of the day, Jacob was a "wild" man out there! 

After grabbing a quick dinner, we headed to the Knighthawks game.  Usually we park right across from the arena, but that night the lot was full and we couldn't get the guy to let us in (we are on a list there and are supposed to be able to park there), so I had to drive to the garage I park in for work.  As we walked across the Broad St. Bridge over the Genesee River, I looked down and saw this:

Pretty sure that's a Blue Heron!
It's not too often you see a bird like that in the middle of a city!  It was so elegant and beautiful that I could have sat there and watched him all night.  Of course, we were late for the game so we had to get going.  Still, it was neat.

Anyway, it was just a funny day of random wildlife.  Not too bad for a bunch of suburban dwellers, eh?

No comments: