Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Memorial Day Weekend

It's been a busy week.  So busy, in fact, that these pictures go back to last Friday, actually.  We had a great weekend, a four day one, at that.  Much needed, trust me.

Thursday night we were out at a Champion's Cup appearance with a bunch of the Knighthawks' big fans.  Jacob, as usual, decided to be difficult at an inopportune moment.  He had the chance to drink chocolate milk out of the cup with a couple other kids, but he chickened out.  Ugh.  However, Craig brought the cup home with him that night since he had an appearance at a radio station the next morning.  I taped Jacob walking into our room and seeing the cup.  It was pretty cute, but alas, a little large to upload here.  Someday I will do a YouTube thing!  But's a picture of him hanging out with the cup...

On Friday, Craig and I had a date day.  Jacob went to daycare, and the two of us went out to lunch and to see "Crooked Arrows", a lacrosse movie.  It was fun to just be the two of us for a change.  We would have done something fun Friday night, but Jacob's behavior lately just hasn't warranted it. 

Saturday we had a picnic with my family here in town.  It was fun to see everyone (and eat!), and Jacob had a blast playing with his second cousins, as always.  We spent a good chunk of the rest of the weekend outside--playing with Jacob, doing yardwork, cleaning the pool (it's cool but refreshing!), and planting a mini-garden.  Exhausting, but a good feeling to get it done.  We actually didn't do much else until Monday afternoon. 

Monday we decided to head to the zoo.  Our zoo just opened a major new exhibit a couple weeks ago, and we were overdue to renew our membership.  The new exhibit features three lions, some goats, a new food stand, and some fun activities. Its opening also meant that the exhibits beyond it--the elephants and the baboons--were accessible for the first time in over a year. 
Looking out over the new space
The lion exhibit is pretty great.  There used to be this long, boring walk down to the elephants and baboons, but it's been replaced by a fantastic little area bringing the African theming to all three exhibits together.  There's a Masai hut, the goats, a fossil dig area, a double-decker bus observation area, some fun photo ops, and a walk up window to see the lions.  Here's where they were when we got there...
Lounging in the shade!  There is one male and two females.
After a couple minutes, the male came right up and sat next to the glass.  He's very regal, with giant paws and a gorgeous face.
Not sure how well  you can see it, but the remains of lunch were scattered about...bloody bones, including jaw bones with teeth and everything.  Gross.  I wonder what kind of animals they feed them!
Jacob loved the double-decker bus and kept wanting to go back there.  It's neat to have that sort of vantage point, though I have a feeling I'm going to spend many zoo visits dragging Jacob back downstairs!

I love watching the baboons because there's a lot of them and they're very active.  They're almost always doing something interesting--playing, grooming, chasing--and Monday was no exception!  One was playing under a blanket, and I caught this picture of a baby snuggling its mama...
So sweet...just how I wish I could be with Jacob more often!
Of course, we had one classic moment when one baboon rolled on his back and let it all hang out...literally.  Jacob's like, "I see his wiener, Mommy..."  Awesome.  I'm just glad he didn't notice the size difference between that one and the one next to him.  Let's just say I think the one we were looking at was a little...ummm....happier.  Yikes.

I can't resist including this picture that I snapped on the way back out...
Silly boys!
And this one was pretty cute, too...
Riding the alligator!
We went to a party at our friend's house for dinner, and managed to keep Jacob occupied at a mostly-adult party for quite a while--thanks to ladder golf, playing catch, and a couple doggies.  We were all pretty exhausted by the end of the weekend, yet no one slept well on Monday night.  Jacob was up whimpering, Craig had a headache and stomach ache, and I was up every time either of them was.  In the end everyone was fine, though Jacob did wake up with a cold yesterday morning so perhaps the rough night was foreshadowing for that.  It's made for a couple sleepy days at work, and now tomorrow I'm running in the Chase Corporate Challenge, the race I've been training for for months.  My goal is to run the 3.5 miles in 30 minutes, which I've done a few times on the treadmill.  However, my last couple weeks of runs have been very challenging and I'm not sure I have any chance to achieve that level of success tomorrow.  I'm hoping for a solid dose of adrenaline, but considering I haven't gotten close to that speed in a couple weeks, I'm concerned.  Still, it'll be a nice night out by myself (the after party is always fun!) and once I'm past it, I'll probably take a break from running for a bit--or at least explore other workout options for a change.  I'll miss the calorie burn, for sure, but I need the change.  It's been nice to have a goal, but I'm ready to be out from under it!  My bike and the great outdoors are waiting, at the very least!

Anyway, it was nice to have a productive weekend together and I'm ready to see what the summer holds!

No comments: