Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Circle of Life

My apologies if this post gets too sappy or nostalgic or philosophical. I'll try to keep it to a minimum, but there's only so much I can do. Anyway...

Today my big brother turns 35. I have a hard time wrapping my brain around that. I mean, I can actually remember my parents at that age, and now my brother is there? How is that even possible? And how am I only four and a half years behind him? 35 itself doesn't freak me out...because after all, Craig is 36. He definitely doesn't seem old. And neither does my brother. It's not even the number, but rather this whole stage of life. I can't believe we're here.

I don't think 30 or 35 is old, but it feels "mature", I guess. When you're young, I think most of us get it in our heads that by the 30-35 range, we're supposed to have a house and kids and a stable job. And sure enough, we all do. I guess I just can't believe we're there already. I have a hard time comprehending that we've transitioned from kids to adults...that the remote control-as-projectile fights were so long ago and we're now more likely to be breaking up those kinds of fights than starting them. Lord knows Jacob can throw a remote with the best of them already. And so much has happened since those days--High school, college, moving away, jobs, marriage, and now kids--so it doesn't necessarily seem like yesterday. But it also amazes me that we're moving into the same phases of life that we watched our parents go through, like everything's come full circle.

Today is also the 10 year anniversary of my grandpa's death. Sad though it was, we knew it was coming. I was a junior in college at the time. I managed to set up a couple internship interviews for the weekend of the funeral, which effectively began my career in sports. We actually managed to have a decent time that weekend, talking about Grandpa's quirks and our many memories of his famous stories. We watched the Kentucky Derby in between funeral home visits, which was only appropriate in honor of a man whose favorite post-lunch stop was OTB. I know I gained a greater appreciation for the family man my grandfather was, even if he did come off a bit gruff in his old age. He had his moments, and deep down you knew how amazingly proud of all of us he was. Even now I can imagine the look of pride and amusement he'd have on his face if he ever got to see Jacob crawling around and smiling. Probably not far off from the look my dad gets, though he's more of an obvious softy these days anyway :) But yeah...10 years.

Long story short, time flies. Like I said in a recent post, everything goes in phases. Before we know it things change again and we've moved on to another period in our lives...even if we don't entirely realize it as it happens. And one day you wake up and you're all grown up and you have no idea where time went. Crazy stuff.

Anyway...Happy Birthday, John!

1 comment:

Mom B. said...

Obviously Dad loved your post and got sentimental! He said, "Better than reading about Jacob's poop!" Another great job by you!