Monday, February 2, 2009

Miscellaneous Monday

Has it really been nearly a week since I last posted? Oops, sorry about that. I guess last week was a little crazy. Between making up work time for doctor and dentist appointments and generally busy evenings, I guess I just ran out of time. I would have posted over the weekend, but I got busy early on Saturday and then got sick...another brief but painful bout of the flu/food poisoning, much like I had a month or two ago. Not sure why that keeps happening, but it's awful. This time my parents were in town, so at least Jacob was well taken care of. Once they left to meet friends at the lacrosse game, Lori was there to help out until after Jacob was in bed. Thank God. I was feeling pretty brutal until about the middle of the afternoon yesterday. The worst part of the whole thing is just not being able to take care of Jacob like I'd like to, from keeping my distance in case it's catchy, to not having the energy to hold him or rock him or play with him, to a non-existent milk supply thanks to the dehydration. Unfortunately, the illness meant Jacob had to miss his first Superbowl party. We just enjoyed it at home, but I should note that the DVR was a huge help in enjoying the game and the commercials, because I can't tell you how many times we were otherwise distracted and had to rewind!

Anyway...let's see...last week...we made a little bit of progress on the solid foods front. Jacob still isn't exactly an eager participant, but he's getting better about letting me sneak bites in and not screaming about it. We had one good and one great bananas and cereal feedings a couple evenings, and so I decided we'd give it a shot at daycare on Friday, which apparently he did pretty well. We had a less successful attempt on Friday night out at dinner, which was the first time Jacob sat in a restaurant high chair instead of having his carseat in a sling or highchair or booth. I don't know if it was the timing or what, but he wasn't interested. He did seem to like sitting up and looking around, though. He had an okay feeding last night. So far we've tried apples (will be trying again soon), bananas, sweet potatoes, and green beans (the night he got sick--probably won't try those again for a while). Today at daycare I left him squash. Hmmm. So, like I said, still not great, but making progress. We'll keep working on it.

Jacob definitely seems to be increasingly aware of things. His various skills are improving a lot. My parents hadn't seen him in three weeks (they were off visiting Jacob's beautiful little cousin Kate!!) and remarked how much he seemed to change just in that time. He can grab better, sits up well, and smiles a LOT. As long as he's content, he'll smile at Craig and me upon eye contact most of the time, which is great. He laughs quite a bit, sometimes at nothing but mostly when I'm doing something goofy or tickling him a little. He still loves his jumperoo, and had us laughing last night when he was really getting going in it! He's definitely got his quirks, though, like how he tends to chomp down on faces. Out of nowhere he'll try to latch on to your face...but he's not sucking, he's almost chewing. You can actually feel him biting down. Let's hope that stops once his teeth come in!! He was up in the middle of the night the last couple nights (Saturday to Sunday I couldn't blame him, because we were all a little off...and last night he just wouldn't go to sleep, so I can see how that might have left him a bit unsettled), but it could just be teething again. Until those bottom two come in (they're so close!) we may be dealing with this stuff from time to time. It's tiring, but I can put up with it when I consider how lucky we've been so far.

He's getting really grabby, reaching for everything from glasses (his favorite) to Craig's hats, my necklaces, toys, drinking glasses, or anything near his changing table. He's very curious and is starting to get to the point where if he can't grab something he wants, he expresses his frustration. Not all the time, but sometimes. Luckily distraction still works most of the time!

I'm sure I had more to add, but I guess I will save it for another day...enough for one post!

No comments: