Monday, February 16, 2009

Getting better...

Well, knock on wood...but it appears that Jacob is finally figuring out the solid food thing. Thank goodness. It amazed me today how much of a load off it was to have him actually opening his mouth! He's been getting progressively better the last couple days, which I have a hunch could have something to do with the fact that he was eating pears, which appear to be one of his favorites. To be fair, he was doing pretty well before that, but with the pears he was opening his mouth really well for the first time ever. He actually did pretty great with squash tonight as well, which was also a relief since it's good to know he likes a vegetable too! I think the only reason he didn't finish tonight's squash (but very close) was because he was full from a good nursing beforehand. I only fed him the solids because he seemed like he was still a bit hungry...or maybe he was just enjoying his time breastfeeding (and based on yesterday's video, we all know he's a boob guy! And how could you blame him, since that's where 90% of his nourishment comes from?) Anyway...he still did really well and didn't fuss at all today in two solid feedings.

Now I'll have to keep working on broadening his tastes. I don't think we've tried peas yet (not sure why...just hadn't gotten around to them) and we still have peaches, too. He's done sweet potatoes, applesauce, bananas, carrots, and green beans, though we haven't gone back to green beans since the ill-fated night where the Jumperoo shook him up. I do have a couple stage 1 meats on hand. I've heard babies generally don't like those (God knows I can't bring myself to smell them at any of those "Guess the Baby Food" shower games), but I had a coupon for money off of eight jars and Wegmans' selection wasn't great, so I figured I'd just get them and try it sometime. I bought some frozen mixed veggies this weekend and may try cooking them up nice and soft and giving Jacob a few peas, carrots and beans to kick off finger foods. My only other nagging issue right now is that everyone recommends things like Cheerios and small pieces of bagel and other various finger foods, but they all seem to contain wheat, which is a common allergen. That confuses me. Even oatmeal contains wheat, and most people start their kids on that pretty early since rice cereal isn't exactly the peak of taste. However, they say that if there's a risk you should hold off until the first birthday, but it really limits what he can eat. It's tough to say how risky it is, because I don't have any food allergies, and neither does Craig as far as we know (though he's had this recurring itch in recent months that seems like it has to be caused by something he's eating--we're thinking it could be a reaction to caffeine or nutrasweet), but seeing as how Jacob's cousin is allergic to peanuts and egg, you never know what might be lurking deep in the genes. I don't really want to take the risk unless the doctors can assure me it's not a big one. We shall see.

It was a pretty good long weekend other than Jacob's sudden aversion to sleeping. He woke up twice last night and fought napping big time the last two days. Not sure if it's just teething or if something else is bugging him. He's also picked up this screechy cry in the last week or so, and that's been horrible to listen to when he's miserable. But outside of that issue, it was really a pretty good weekend. Back to the grind in the morning...

No comments: