Saturday, December 17, 2011

Jacob's Christmas Concert

Last year I had one of my biggest mom fail moments yet, where I just missed Jacob's performance in his Christmas program because I miscalculated the time it would take me to get up to Greece after a workout.  I got out later than I wanted and hit a little traffic along the way, and they were just coming off stage when I got there.  Horrible.  This year I was determined to do it right. 

Good thing I did, because I would have missed one of my first truly memorable parenting moments.  What I mean by that is, while there are dozens of amazing, awesome, memorable things you go through as a parent, there are certain moments that stand out as classic, bizarre hilarity, something that's right out of your favorite TV show...even if that show is America's Funniest Home Videos.  Thursday night, we had our moment.



The classic moment happens right around the 2:40 mark.  Craig was up front getting this video, and I was in the back taking pictures.  When the fateful moment happened, I pretty much had my head in my hands but laughing, too.  The mom next to me (whose son was the one in green covering his face) said, "At least your son is singing!"  True.  Despite the moment, which was indeed funny, I was really proud of Jacob.  He knew his songs well and was singing along just fine.  That's gotta count for something.

Interestingly, having been a kid (and adult) who mostly tried to fade into the background, I wasn't quite sure what to make of my little scene-stealer.  One of my most horrifyingly frightening moments when I was a kid was when I was selected as Mary in the Sunday School Christmas Eve program.  It involved speaking into a microphone and everything, which was pretty scary.  I have no idea how old I was--maybe 9 or 10?--and I wish that there was video floating around of it, awkward as it might be.  I was in such a haze of fear and nerves that I only remember bits and pieces of the experience.  It would have been nice to see my performance in context, all these years later.  And while the end result was exhilarating, I spent most of December fearing microphones and trying to overcome my fears in time to put on a flawless performance.  I knew my lines well and actually enjoyed the end where we got to hang out with the manger and be visited by the shepherds and three kings.  It was certainly a character-building experience, if nothing else. 

From everything I've heard from Craig, he dealt with much the same nervousness when he was younger.  So, to see our child in only his second big performance stealing the show, I wasn't sure if I should be happy he's so comfortable up there, or mortified that he was such a grabby-hands with the mike during a group performance.  Oh, and stealing from the director's grandson (also a Jacob, born the day after our Jacob, in the same hospital), no less. 

I'm so glad I got to be there, though.  I am very proud of my little man and applaud his enthusiasm.  Looks like we could have an interesting run of shows for years to come...   

No comments: