Friday, December 2, 2011

Calm Before the Storm...

Well, not really "calm", but the blog's been a bit quiet, eh?  Sorry.  I'm not sure if I'm simply content with nothing to vent or discuss, or if there's just been too many things on my mind to get overly philosophical about any one thing. 

We had a lovely thanksgiving.  Not a particularly photogenic one, apparently, as the last pictures on my camera are from last Wednesday's thanksgiving feast at Jacob's daycare.  I will post those and a couple others soon, but seeing as how there aren't a LOT of pictures on my camera to pull off, there just hasn't been a high priority to do it (or to post them here) since last week. 

We left for Buffalo on Wednesday night.  Jacob went to bed late and woke up coughing in the middle of the night, yet he was still awake shortly after 7am.  We had a lazy morning then did a quick errand before heading over to Craig's brother's house for the feast.  We had a fantastic meal, and for a change, it was just that one.  My parents were in Portland, so we only had one stop this year.  It was a little bit of a bummer to not see them, but I was more than happy to share this year.  It was great for John, Kristin and the kids to have my parents there, and good for me to only have one meal to gorge on and less driving to do.  We had a good time with Craig's family and Jacob definitely made good use of his cousins' stash of masks and helmets.  That kid is totally into role playing right now--in his own weird way, hence the the fact that he's been parading around in as many as four layers lately.  He'll wear four short-sleeved shirts on top of one another, and shorts under his pants, and for some reason in his mind he's being a superhero or a sports guy.  Don't ask me how, but that's the latest thing.

I did some shopping online thanksgiving night--got Jacob's big gift and a new camera, which I cannot wait to play with!  Good timing, too, since that means I can leave one camera with Craig and take the new one with me to Portland.  More on that in a bit, though...

Friday we headed back around lunchtime and I managed to put up the tree (no decorations) and get settled back in.  Craig was busy most of the rest of the weekend with work, but I managed to do a little shopping (nothing exciting), put up most of the Christmas decorations, and finish the tree over the past few days.  I wouldn't call our weekend relaxing, exactly, but it wasn't super crazy either, which was nice. 

However, being back to work this week has been a little on the hellish side since I have a ton of work to do and only three days to do it in.  Everyone's busy, everyone needs everything ASAP, and I'll be in Portland in less than two days.  So, yeah, not exactly a happy start to the week for me.  On top of that, I had to finalize Jacob's daycare pictures (yes, there were a couple good ones, but I needed them to fix one for me, since he had a major patch of hair out of place) and changing over all of our insurance (medical and dental) to my job.  Craig's offerings changed and mine turned out to be the better deal.  I hate that kind of paperwork.  All of these things had a deadline of tomorrow, so between work and decorating and planning for my trip, I've been making lists and trying to carve out time to get everything done.  I'm not even sure where to begin on instructions or "suggestions" for Craig for his five days alone with Jacob.  I know they'll survive fine, albeit with a lack of home cooking and probably a little less structure than usual.  They'll be fine.  The bigger question is what I will be returning to!

I'm sure I'll be blogging from the airport pondering my coexisting angst and excitement about my trip.  It's rare enough that I even get on a plane, let alone be away from Jacob for this long, so the whole thing means I'm just a bundle of emotions heading into it.  The busy week isn't helping, nor is the mere fact that it's Christmas season.  As it is this time of year I usually have a million things swirling around in my head--gift buying, cookie baking, parties and dinners, Christmas events--and there's never enough time to do it all as it is.  Throw in a cross-country trip and it leaves me a little more anxious than usual.  However, I have no doubt it will be worth it in the end, just as it was last time we had a trip in the middle of Christmas season, our fantastic trip to Florida when I was newly pregnant.  This time I'm flying solo, though, for only the second time ever.

This is my first time traveling with technology, so I'm trying to remember everything I might need for my laptop, MP3 player, cell phone, and new camera.  I'm trying to bring stuff to run outside.  I'm trying to remember the rules for packing liquids.  And I'm trying to pack it all into two carry-ons.  Ha! 

Should be an interesting few days, that's for sure.

No comments: