Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Back in the swing of things...

Well, the boys are back.  They had a good time and it's been good having them back.  It's been a little bit of an adjustment getting back to normal bedtime, potty training, and meals at the table.  I don't know if it's just that I missed him or if he's still getting back in his terror groove, but part of me feels like things haven't been as bad.  Difficult, yes....torture, no.  It might help that we have some new things to hang over Jacob's head (his souvenirs, the risk of being back in the ER strapped to the table), but while he's still not listening, he's been a little easier-going in general.  Maybe I'm just easier-going because I had a break.  It's refreshing to have a break from the screaming, and I feel better about keeping my calm.  So, I'm not sure if it's me or him, but it's been a little less frustrating.

His wound is healing fine, per his doctor, though there's still a painful looking pink spot in the middle of it. There's still a lot of glue to peel off, but hopefully it will heal well.  Might be worth investing in some Mederma to lessen scarring.  It doesn't seem to bother him other than when we're changing his band-aid.  I think we'll have to start letting it breathe, but I left a band-aid on it tonight so he doesn't accidentally bleed on his animals. 

It's been funny to watch the parade of pictures on Facebook the last few days (and even weeks, considering my friends down south) showing everyone's kids' first day of school.  A lot of my friends have new Kindergartners, in particular.  Hard to believe that will be us in two years.  I guess I feel a little lucky that we're not having a big "new year" transition at daycare.  Jacob did his a couple months ago so we're already good there...even if he's still asking to go back to his old room.  I suppose this is one of the last years (if not the last) without a big transition, and then from then on, every new school year is going to be a deep-breath-and-dive-in scenario with new schools, new teachers, new friends, new routines, and more.  I'm still not sure where Jacob will go (public vs. private), so I'm not sure if we're going to have to do the bus thing, or what.  Yikes.  I have to think back-to-school is a big thing for parents, too, since it means a whole new year of keeping tabs on your kids and their respective batches of homework, friend problems, teacher problems, and activities.  Right now, apparently we have it easy. 

It's been funny this week because a great blog I just started following (which, of course, is now ENDING) has had the theme of what the mom bloggers would do with a kid-free day.  Of course, the topic is near and dear to my heart since I just finished blogging about my real-life experience with kid-free life.  It's been interesting to read other moms' take on the subject, and I must say that I found myself nodding right along with most of them.  I did disagree with one that insisted that kids don't have to prevent you from doing things, but let's face it--no normal three year old is going to stand by quietly while you browse clearance racks for three hours.  Ain't happenin'.  Nice thought, but no.  And not just that, but I wouldn't necessarily want to put my kid through that even if I could.  But the rest were very interesting to read...even though my experience got nowhere near a spa, massage, mani/pedi, a beach, or an alcoholic beverage.  So I value getting things done over complete relaxation...sue me.  I'll be sad to see the site end, though technically I do have about eight months of posts to catch up on.

So, yeah, things are back to normal and it's ok. 

No comments: