Monday, June 21, 2010

Birthday, Take 1

So...Jacob's birthday was this weekend. But, of course, for reasons I've already discussed, we opted to not have his party this weekend...or next weekend, for that matter. Instead, we were off to Buffalo for some family time, first with my parents on Saturday, then with Craig's family on Sunday. We spent most of Friday evening trying to get packed up and ready for the weekend. I did some clothes shopping (I am seriously lacking appropriate summer clothing this year--between shifts in my body from pre-pregnancy to nursing to now and just general style changes, I'm at a loss) and then ordered pizza. Some packing, some wrapping, and that was the extent of it.

Saturday morning we got up with Jacob (around 8am, not bad) and then scrambled to finish last minute packing. Our pool is still vexing us a bit, between chemicals and filters and timers, but at this point we're ok to swim in it...we just need to work a couple maintenance things out. Figuring out how it had to be set for the weekend set us back a bit, but we got on the road about when we'd hoped to, which was a small miracle. We got to NT a little after noon, had time for some lunch, and then headed out to the Firemen's Parade, a longstanding tradition. I hadn't been to that parade in ages, so it was neat to go again. Jacob's first parade was last summer, but obviously he was a little more conscious of it all this year and we got to watch longer. He wasn't particularly phased by it all, though did sit nicely most of the time. He was referring to the fire trucks as "buses", and my dad corrected me when I said that buses are yellow and fire trucks are red, because some fire trucks are yellow. And sure enough, the City of Tonawanda has yellow fire trucks. Why? Ugh. He just seemed to take it all in. He even got to try his first Tootsie Roll, courtesy of one of the candy throwers during the parade. He loved it, as evidenced by the bite mark on my finger as he nearly bit it off trying to chew the last piece. Seeing as it was his first one, I was making him take bites, and the last bite got me. Ouch. Anyway, here are a couple cute pics from when we were waiting for the parade to make it to us...it was a hot day, but Jacob was having a lot of fun running around between water breaks!

Once we were back at my parents' house we had some time to relax and play. Lots of baseball in the backyard, and a couple slides down their little slide. Jacob did really good hitting the baseball, and I will post a video soon with proof! After dinner we headed over to my grandma's house with some cupcakes for a mini-birthday celebration. I brought some extras from the batch I made for daycare. It was a little experimental thanks to not being sure if my oil was still good. I opted to do the egg-free recipe, so I had to use the only light-colored soda we had, Wegmans Diet Cherry Wedge--a cherry-grapefruit flavor. It gave the white cake a hint of cherry flavor, and I did my experimental icing with milk, powdered sugar, vanilla and a drop of blue food coloring. It didn't turn out too bad! Here's our happy little family...



After that we headed out to Craig's side of the family. Jacob fell asleep on the way there, which led to the snuggling I posted about yesterday. When we woke up the next morning, I decided to try to institute a tradition from when I was a kid into my own family. I remember many birthday mornings where I headed into my parents' room and got to open my birthday gifts from them on their bed. I don't know if that was all my gifts or just a select few, if it was done that way on purpose or if that's just how it worked out, or even if it happened that way every year, but I have vivid memories of that and I always thought it was sort of cool. So, once Jacob was up he got to open up the one gift I bothering bringing with us--his magnetic doodler. He didn't get all jumping up and down excited, but few things do that for him outside of sports and Elmocizing. But he still seemed very interested and couldn't wait to play with it. Based on his responses to it since, I think I picked a winner. He was so obsessed with the ones at daycare that I figured I had to give it a shot.

Craig was recruited to help with his brother's campaign for a good chunk of the day, so for a while it was just Jacob and me. We ran to get the ice cream needed to make the ice cream cake I was making for the tiny Jacob portion of his cousins' birthday party, and then stopped at the playground while the ice cream softened up in the car. We did the slide, the swings, and a couple other random things before heading back to Craig's parents'. I worked on the cake while Jacob played, then took him on a little walk to knock him out and get him napped before the party. He fell asleep pretty quickly, but only stayed asleep for about 30-45 minutes. Ugh. Still, other than a couple small tantrums, he was a very good boy for most of the day. We played a lot of baseball, ate a LOT of fruit and tortilla chips, and finally did get him in the pool after cake time. He was staring at it all day but kept saying "no" when we asked him if he wanted to go in. I think he didn't want to take time away from his playing to get changed, honestly. He got sung to after the twins, and he really seemed to enjoy the attention. He sings "Happy Birthday" a lot, and even tries to sing "Sto lat", the Polish version of the song. Here are the lyrics, per Wikipedia:
Sto lat, sto lat,
Niech żyje, żyje nam.
Sto lat, sto lat, Niech żyje, żyje nam,
Jeszcze raz, jeszcze raz,
niech żyje, żyje nam,
Niech żyje nam!

This translates roughly into English as:

A hundred years, a hundred years,
May he (she) live for us.
A hundred years, a hundred years,
May he live for us.
Once again, once again,
may he live, live for us,
May he live for us!

Jacob only gets the "Sto lat" part out, but it's cute that he tries. He'll still probaly learn it quicker than I did. I think it took me a good six years or so to be able to sing along completely. As has been his M.O. lately, he didn't eat any cake. I think he's just too busy running around doing other things. I think I ate plenty for both of us, though. It was just too good!

After a great swim in the toasty warm pool it was time to head home. Jacob was out practically before we were out of Craig's parents' neighborhood, and Craig was out before we even hit the second exit on the Thruway. I have a picture of both of them sleeping (yeah, I took it while driving on the Thruway, using my rear view mirror and holding the camera up--I swear, I was careful), but I will refrain from posting it here (for now) because Craig might not appreciate it. It's cute, though.

Jacob woke up a bit when we got home and I got him in bed, but he stayed quiet and snuggled with me in bed while Craig unpacked and we chatted a bit. Eventually he just fell back to sleep and that was it. I finished off the evening with a new batch of icing for the remaining cupcakes, some laundry and a blog post. Weekend complete.

Now we just need to get through this week for what we hope will be a pleasant weekend including lots of pool time and a trip to the drive-in, among other things. Craig and I are going to a fundraising event tonight (night out!), Craig has softball tomorrow, and I'm planning an ill-advised trip to IKEA in Burlington, ON on Wednesday to try to buy a piece of furniture that's too long for my car. I'm either going to try to bungee it in (at least until I get back to Buffalo, if all else fails), or I'll return it on the spot, or I'll look into shipping it back. The piece I want is ridiculously on sale ($99 down from $229) for one day, and I'm determined to get it here somehow. I'd like a riding/shopping/lifting/bungeeing partner, but so far no takers. Even better if that person came with a bigger vehicle. I keep thinking about renting a vehicle, but for one that big it appears to be cost-prohibitive. Still thinking about it, though. So, yeah, busy week coming up...but busy's good, I guess...it keeps things interesting!

No comments: