Saturday, January 2, 2010


Well, it's been a yucky couple days in our house. If you've got a weak stomach, you're probably better off scrolling to the bottom of this post for a bit of fun. But for the rest of you, you might not want to eat while you're reading.

Jacob wasn't quite himself yesterday morning, and he wouldn't nap for long or eat much lunch. Well, an hour later we knew why. What he did eat was splattered on the living room floor. We were hoping it was just a passing thing, that something just disagreed with him and he had to get it out of his system, but before we knew it he had thrown up four times in two hours. It was so horrible to watch, not only because it was disgusting, but because it's hard to see your baby find out how to puke. You'd think after months of spitting up you'd be prepared and they'd be used to it, but throwing up solid food is such a horrible, jarring experience. I dealt with it only once before with Jacob, the night he was bouncing in his jumperoo too soon after dinner and threw up green beans all over his crib. Nasty. But this time around, it kept happening and it was so hard to see him uncomfortable. Sometimes he'd be ok in between episodes, but as a whole he got weaker and more tired. It made for a long afternoon, because even once he had emptied out his stomach, he spent two hours with dry heaves every 15 minutes. He was still getting up a little here and there--presumably mostly saliva--but for the most part it was pretty fruitless and extra painful to watch. We minimized the mess pretty well with old towels and a bucket, and just held him for most of the afternoon, trying to perfect our technique when he started whining again right before another round.

After four hours of frequent heaving and a couple calls to the doctor's office, they said we could go into the emergency room if we were worried. We knew he wasn't that dehydrated yet (still had tears and drool) but he hadn't peed in four hours (did you know eight is the standard worry point? Yikes.) and the constant episodes really got worrisome. I knew it was probably just an overreaction of relatively new parents, but the peace of mind was worth it. So, off to the ER we went, two months after our last trip. As we were leaving, Jacob started asking for something to drink. Of course we didn't want to give it to him right then and figured we'd hold off until we were safely in the hospital with one of those little puke containers and people who could change linens if necessary. It turned out that the dry heave episode that convinced us to go was his last, and he spent most of the time we were there complaining for a drink. He was very tired but was still in decent spirits. We did a lot of waiting and finally they were ok with giving him a drink. He's a FAST drinker so we really had to monitor his intake when the 16 oz. cup of diluted juice arrived. I was constantly wrestling the straw out of his teeth to keep him from drinking the whole thing. Sip by sip he drank it all, and kept it all down. Finally. It still took a long time to see the doctor and get discharged, but he got a nerf football from a nice nurse on the way out. Long story short, there's a virus that's been going around since the day after Christmas. It lasts 24-48 hours and vomiting and diarrhea are the main symptoms. It's apparently quite contagious. My stomach had been a bit off that day as well, but nothing really came of it other than some gurgling.

This morning we took things slow and he seemed to do fairly well. But by lunch he wasn't eating again and later we knew why. Apparently the virus moved south and Jacob now got the diarrhea portion of it. He had a couple big BMs, and then it just started coming out as mostly liquid. He leaked out of his diaper almost every time, and in addition to being smelly, they were also hard to clean up because what solid stuff came out was in little pieces that never stuck to the wipes. Ugh. We went through a lot of pants today. He pooped out (no pun intended) a lot earlier than usual tonight and I still made him go through a pre-bed bath to try to clean off his body of any remaining yuckiness from the last couple days. Hopefully he'll be back to normal tomorrow and Craig and I will avoid the worst of this. Neither of us felt great today, but other than some minor GI discomfort, we weren't nearly the disaster Jacob was yesterday.

It was definitely an unpleasant experience that I hope we avoid for a long time, but I guess it's nice to know we survived it this time around. All bets are off for overnight illness, though. Handling it while awake is one thing, but dealing with it when I'm super tired and having to change pajamas and sheets? Yuck. I think I read somewhere once about making a bed in the bathtub, and that sounds like a great idea. Let's hope it's an idea we never have to use.

Now, to perk up this post, let's rewind to the other night, before this craziness started. Jacob was having an off night on New Year's Eve too, perhaps the start of his illness for all we know. He was tired early and we ended up putting him in his jammies before he even ate dinner (which was late because he slept through ours). I ended up giving him some apple for dessert, and he kept asking for more after he finished his couple sections and I ate the rest. So I grabbed another apple and decided to let him bite into it himself. He loved it! He even knows how to say "Apple". I tried to get video of him saying it, and he got close in this one, but I just thought he was so cute biting into the apple himself. Ok, so maybe I'm biased and most of this video is like watching paint dry, but I still like it. Notice the "All Done" he throws in at the end...

We hope everyone had a great (and puke-free) New Year, and we wish you all the best in 2010!

P.S. - We got a counter-offer today for the offer we put in on the house on New Year's Eve. It was within the ballpark of what we were hoping to get it for, so for now we have a deal. It's contingent on us selling our house before the end of the month, so we need to hope we start getting some traffic ASAP. We could also get squashed by another buyer who offers more or doesn't have a contingency, but we won't be able to help that so if it's all meant to be, it will happen. Otherwise, we'll just keep looking...

No comments: