Friday, January 8, 2010

Seriously....when is it going to end?

Another day, another malady. And actually, make that two. So the last couple days Jacob hasn't had the best days at daycare. He's had short naps that have culminated in long periods of hardcore crying. They couldn't get anything to distract him and both days they've had to call and let me know. Awesome. Today the director called and said that he might have an ear infection based on how he was acting. It didn't seem completely out of the question since he had been waking up miserable at night the past couple nights, and even had random moments in the middle of the day where he'd just start screaming. So, even though we had our inspection scheduled for 4:15 (Craig was covering the first part, before the hockey game, and I was going to cover the second after I picked up Jacob), I made the only appointment they had, at 6:40. With the snow (I think another five inches today) and some other technical difficulties, by the time I was even close to the house I pretty much knew that if I went there I wouldn't have time to go to the doctor, so we had to miss the end of the inspection and get Jacob checked out instead. We have to go there Monday for his well visit anyway, but I didn't want to wait the whole weekend. Thank God for a $0 copay. Anyway, we get there and the doctor said that one ear is infected and she can hear a little crackling in his chest. The crackling probably isn't anything serious, but if we hear him wheezing we can give him some albuterol. He's on antibiotics for the ear infection, so hopefully that will clear up soon.

So fast forward through dinner, a webcam chat with Grandma and Grandpa, and the usual bedtime routine. I put Jacob in his crib and said goodnight. He was quiet at first but then started the screaming and crying that's been happening more and more lately. Whether or not it has anything to do with the ear infection or it's just a coincidence, I'm not sure. But he's been a miserable sleeper lately, both with going to bed and taking naps, and actually staying asleep for a reasonable amount of time. Because he was quiet at first, I picked up the phone to return a call, and while I was talking, the screaming started. After a few minutes I was about to go in and check on him when I heard a BIG thump. We're used to hearing little thumps and other funny noises from over the monitor. Jacob tends to kick the wall between the crib slats and rattle the drop side rail a lot, but this was definitely NOT that. And sure enough, when I walked in, he was sitting on the floor. He was still crying, pretty much the same cry he'd been doing, and of course I freaked out. I whisked him up off the floor and took him over to his changing table to check him out. He calmed down pretty quickly, probably because he achieved his main goal, to get me in there, and seemed like his normal self while I was checking him out. I noticed a couple pink marks on the side of his head, but that was about it. I have absolutely no idea how he got himself out. He's a pretty good climber, but he would have had to have his feet and hands in the perfect spots to get up the rails in the same way he'll climb up Craig or me. Maybe he flipped himself out, or maybe he just figured out how to get his leg up and over. I have NO clue. And it scares the crap out of me that I have no idea how he fell. I got in there pretty quick and he was sitting up, so either he got up quick or that's just how he plopped down....again in which case I can't quite picture how he would have fallen like that. So, of course, I called the doctor for the umpteenth time this week (seriously, at least three times during the puking, once about his fever and his hunger strike, once about his daycare medical forms, once earlier today to make the appointment, and then the one tonight. I may be missing one, but I've lost track.) to see if there was anything specific I should be doing or checking for. They said to watch for vomiting and to wake him up a couple times tonight--once when we go to bed and another time a few hours later--to make sure he's moving and acting normal. I don't know how "normal" he'll be when he's being woken up from a sound sleep. I doubt he's going to want to try to walk or talk or anything, but we shall see. Of course, based on the last couple nights he'll do plenty of waking up on his own, so that may not be an issue. Of course, most of those wake-ups have been pretty incoherent, just a lot of whining and crying, so I'm not sure how much of a help those will be either. I'm going to hate to wake him up when he's finally sleeping, knowing how hard it is for him to fall alseep with his ear infection and cough. I'm definitely nervous, though, so I know it's something we have to do so WE get some sleep tonight. He fell asleep pretty quickly afterward, which could be due to pure exhaustion. It had been a long night already. Of course, in every movie and TV show where someone gets a concussion, they always talk about keeping the person awake. So, of course, that's been running through my mind too. But again, he seemed to be acting normally while I was checking him out--pointing to my eyes and saying "eye" when I was looking into his, then complaining again when I tried to put him back in his crib--so hopefully he just somehow jumped out and landed safely.

Of course, now I'm thinking about the toddler bed. Jacob now sleeps on a cot on the floor at daycare (which, of course has only been moderately successful so far), but I just don't see him being ready for a real bed. First, he'd constantly be up and out of it, which isn't particularly safe either since we wouldn't be in his room to watch him. While his room is more or less safe, there are still a handful of things he could make into trouble if he really tried. Second, his desire to be out of it would mean he'd never go to sleep. Third, he sleeps all over his crib so I'm not sure how he'd ever stay in the bed even while asleep. I just keep hoping that he will miraculously forget that he figured out how to do that, or was at least scared enough by it to not do it again. Maybe it all happened to quickly for him to realize that he managed to gain his freedom. Let's hope so, because I don't think I can deal with this on a regular basis. Ugh. Can't we just catch a break?

I'll say this...outside of the first week in the hospital and maybe a couple scattered weeks of bad sleeping early last year, this has easily been one of the toughest weeks I've had as a parent. If puking and diarrhea wasn't bad enough, a cough, cold and ear infection would have been. But to add in a fall from his crib...ugh. I've had enough for one week. Let's hope week two of 2010 is better than the first. Have a good weekend, everyone.

No comments: