Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Still adjusting...

Well, it's been a few days since our disasterous Friday night that included the ear infection and Jacob's crib jump. Things are moving along but we're not quite back in the groove yet. Jacob seems to be doing better with the ear infection. We went for his well visit yesterday--the last in a long line of every three months and his last set of shots until kindergarten--and the doctor said it was clearing up nicely. He's been enjoying the antibiotics a lot (where were those flavorings when I was a kid?) and he actually slept through the night last night for the first time in a while. He still had some issues going down, but we're just going to have to keep working on that. I did put together a "crash pad" at the base of the crib with pillows and blankets, so hopefully he'll at least have some cushion if he decides to do it again. His eating seems to be about back to normal, so that's a plus. He lost weight since his last well visit, which I'm sure is thanks in part to not eating for so long after his stomach bug. He is growing, though. He's in the 75th percentile for height, though off hand I can't remember what it was. I'll try to remember to post it another day. Jacob is still coughing up a storm (though I think the frequency of the coughs is less), but as a results he's stuck on his reflux meds for another five months, just in case pulling him off would cause things to get worse. It's driving me nuts because I swear that they're not doing anything--he has no problems if he misses a dose--and it's a lot of money to keep shelling out when we haven't even tried pulling him off it to see if it makes a difference. He's 18 months now, and most kids have outgrown their reflux by now...if his even was a problem to begin with. Sorry, just a little vent there.

We're still definitely a bit out of sorts with the daycare situation. It's gotten progressively worse, in fact. The first day he seemed ok, probably too distracted by the new stuff to notice. He did cry when he saw me leaving through the window. Every day after that has been a struggle. He won't let us take his coat off, he cries and screams, and every day when I come to pick him up he's so happy to see me. I like the end of the day hugs, for sure, but the constant struggle the rest of the time is hard. I think he's finally understanding that we're not going back to the old place. He can't put it into words, of course, but I'm sure he misses his teachers and friends a lot. And as much as I want him to settle into the new place, it saddens me that after a while he probably won't remember most of his experiences at the old place. He had a lot of friends and the teachers loved him, and it's a shame that they won't stick in his memory long enough for us to talk about them someday. Or at least, I doubt they will. But in the meantime he's giving us a run for our money. He's spent a lot of time crying, but apparently he's still eating ok and he's bringing home some nice artwork. Napping is still an issue, though. I didn't get the full lowdown on how he did overall today because we picked him up early for his doctor's appointment and I assumed he'd go back afterward and I could ask when I picked him up. That didn't go exactly as planned because he freaked out when Craig got him there. Craig gave up fighting him and decided to work the rest of the day from home. We definitely need to discuss that, though, because obviously we can't give in on this. He needs to learn that he just has to get used to it and that no amount of crying will get him back home. I don't want to be the bad guy when I take him every morning and make him stay, so obviously we have to be firm and consistent...both of us. It's hard to watch your baby cry, but it's better for him in the long run. Just like when we have issues getting him to bed, we can't be in there every five minutes (despite our fears of him jumping) because he'll never learn to fall asleep on his own. Ahhh, the joys of parenthood.

Anyway, we definitely miss the old place. I miss his little friends and I really miss the teachers. I'm not sure if it's just a different culture, or different people, or just Jacob's current crankiness, but the new teachers aren't as chatty as the old ones. They always asked about his night and told me funny stories about his activities, and I always liked just hanging out there talking to them. Now they don't say much or ask about anything. Not that they're not nice...I'm sure they are. It's just...different. And maybe I have to do as much adjusting as Jacob. It's only been a week now, so I'm sure we'll all get more comfortable as time goes on. On the bright side, I do like his artwork, right down to the pasta glued to the paper that's hanging on our fridge. I like that they have a theme across the whole center each week that the activities are based on. I love my freetime in the morning now that I don't have to pack his lunch, and I like that he's getting a variety of foods. I also like the sheet they send home with him each day detailing his activities, food consumption, etc. The old one had something like that, but it stayed in a binder at the end of the day and sometimes wasn't as detailed. But I did like that I could put morning notes on that same sheet, just in case the normal teachers weren't in the room when we got there. Oh well...I guess it all can't be perfect. We'll see, though.

Keep your fingers crossed that one of these days it clicks into place for Jacob and he starts loving it...for all our sakes!

No comments: