Friday, June 19, 2009

Busy Day

I'm off work today to get ready for tomorrow's big party. The weather isn't looking promising but hopefully it's good enough to get us through. Thank goodness for our party-ready basement and a big garage. It's probably going to be pretty low-key, but I think we'll have a good time.

I have a lot to do today, from cleaning up the house and yard to running around to pick up a few things. My list just keeps growing, and we'll still be going back to Wegmans tomorrow, I think! I am currently baking layer #1 of the cake, and we'll see how it turns out. It's an egg-free cake so our nephew Grant can safely eat it, and I'm using a method that my sister-in-law and folks on the internet swear by. I'm a little nervous because I've never actually made a cake before. I think I've baked a couple over the years and just frosted them in the pan, and I LOVE doing cupcakes, but actually taking the cake out of the pan, adding another layer, and frosting it all is a totally new thing for me. But as a mom I wanted to do my best for Jacob, and I can only learn by doing it, right? And obviously, the egg-free thing didn't exactly leave Wegmans as an option. And as much as pro cake makers out there are tempting, it's just not worth spending the money. Someday when Jacob can appreciate his cake, maybe. Or maybe I'll just take a class sometime and learn how myself. By the way, have you seen what some people (even talented amateurs) can do? I was looking at first birthday cakes on a message board the other day and couldn't believe it. Made me think our low-key party wasn't quite enough! I do think I need a better kitchen and some better kitchen equipment (i.e., a dishwasher) before I ever become a master baker, though. I just don't have enough space to work or enough time to clean up the baking stuff AND our normal dishes. But we'll start with this cake and see how it goes. As long as it's edible and it's made with love (and isn't a total disaster) then I suppose it will be all right.

Earlier this morning I was thinking about where we were a year ago. Much like last night, we had suffered through a brutal night of sleep (last night Jacob kept waking up, for no apparent was awful). My fluid had been leaking all night, and every time I turned over it did it again. Between that and waiting for labor to start (and no doubt some excited, nervous energy), it was a rough night. I think we made it into the doctor by 9:30 or 10, and by right about now I think we were probably sitting in the other portion of the doctor's office getting monitored. After that we were off to kill time at work (crazy, I know--but it felt good to tie up the loose ends), and then we were off to the hospital by early afternoon.

I don't think I could even conceive of what our lives would be like a year later, getting ready for Jacob's first birthday party. I'd have hoped we'd be old pros by now, and with some things we are, but I still feel pretty darn inexperienced a lot of the time. Even this morning, it was a rough one. After a rough night of sleep for all of us, Jacob was cranky. He fought me on eating and getting dressed, and now I just got a call from day care that he's refusing his normal mid-morning snack and is instead reaching for other kids' food. Fantastic. And I have no idea why he's doing any of it. Seems unfair to keep blaming it on teething when he's got no new teeth in sight, but otherwise I just don't have a clue. Oy. Well, I'm off to get things done. Wish me luck!

No comments: