Sunday, June 30, 2013

Well, that's going to complicate things...

I don't think there's enough gauze, do you?

So...yeah.  How do you like my souvenir from Immediate Care?  Earlier today I went outside to trim our evergreens that desperately needed trimming.  I hate using our electric trimmer, but the bushes are huge and there are a lot of them, so every year about twice a year, I suck it up, pull out the 100 ft. extension cord and go to town.  Well, today my finger got a little too close to the blade when I was trying to clear something out of the way, and...yeah.  It didn't hurt right away but it bled profusely pretty quickly.  I stuck it in my mouth, ran in the house and ran it under cold water for a good five minutes.  It took a while to get the bleeding to slow down, and by the time it did I was starting to get a little lightheaded.  I decided I probably needed to go to immediate care, if only to clean it out and minimize the scar. 

So, off we went--all of us, since I was so dizzy--and a while later I left with three stitches and a giant bandage.  The cut is probably about half an inch long.  It looks deep but it's pretty superficial.  It's above the knuckle so it's not directly in the flex zone, but it's still pretty awkward.  Mostly I just feel dumb.  I know better but it was a momentary mental lapse, I guess.  We still have two sets of bushes that need some serious trimming, but either Craig's going to have to work on them or I will have to use the manual shears to make them not look horrific...but I'll give it a couple days to heal. 

It's going to be an interesting week.  I can't get it wet, so I'm going to have some issues.  I have to cover it when I shower, I can't wash it, and I can't swim.  I can't wash dishes or bottles, and scrubbing the boys' clothes is going to be a problem, too.  I have a party to plan and a cake to bake and decorate.  The house needs cleaning.  I have four days of work this week, two of which will be spent with this ridiculous bandage, making typing difficult and mousing almost impossible.  Craig is going to have to pick up a lot of the slack.  Yes, he had two casts on his hand within a year when we were newlyweds, but we didn't have two kids back then.  Yes, I had a lot to do when he tore his calf, but let's face it--I do a lot of stuff every day that I can't really do right now, and someone's going to have to do it, especially because we have to have the house ready for people on Saturday.  Otherwise I'd just let things slide.  Hmmmm.

It's hard to think that I'm going to be handicapped for the week.  It's hard to strap the boys into their car seats.  Changing a diaper isn't bad, but it's still not easy wrestling Carter out of his clothes.  Baths are definitely out.  Trying to keep the dressing dry and clean is a challenge when you're dealing with poop, food, and whatever else.  On the bright side, tickling Carter's cheek with it got quite a giggle!

In the grand scheme of things it's a minor annoyance, and I know I'm lucky it wasn't worse.  The timing isn't great--is it ever?--but it should heal well and hopefully it'll be back to normal in no time.  But it's going to be a tough week.  As if I didn't hate doing the shrubs enough before...

No comments: