Wednesday, June 13, 2012

A little golf and #800!

Over the weekend, Jacob and I spent some time with my parents while Craig was up in Hamilton.  We won't see my parents for Father's Day weekend (their fault, not mine!) so it was nice to get a little time with them while we could.  Saturday was a pretty good day, despite some unexpectedly questionable weather.  It was supposed to be a gorgeous day after some morning rain, but much of the day turned out to be a dud.  We got some outside time in in the morning--Jacob played sports with my mom and I took a quick run, which was great.  After nap, the weather was cool but the rain had stopped, so we headed off to the golf course so Jacob could get some practice in on the putting green. 
Look at the big boy carrying his own clubs!

I don't know what it is about this picture, but something about Jacob's face is totally reminding me of something genetic--but I can't really tell if it's me, specifically, or throwbacks to my parents' younger days, or what.  Genes are so weird.
Jacob was having a little trouble taking direction this time, but when he decided to listen, the results were pretty good!  Here he is taking a shot just off the green, using his driver...
You can see the ball just off to the right, about halfway up...not bad for a not-even-four-year-old!
Back on the putting green, Jacob's antics were cracking us up.  All over the green there were little piles of dirt, smaller than a dime.  According to my mom, it's where the worms pop up out of the ground.  Here's Jacob studying one a little more closely...
Getting a closer look...
And the best part--most of the time when he made a putt, he did this:

The kid already knows how to salute the crowd...even if he doesn't know that that's what he's actually doing.
That kid is something else.

So, in other news, this is post #800!  It's hard to believe, but that's quite an amazing feat, I think.  When I started doing this, I did it because I thought it would be great for out-of-town family and friends to follow my pregnancy.  I hoped to continue it once Jacob was born, but even back then when I wasn't that into the blogosphere, I was well-aware that the best of intentions for blogs and websites often aren't enough to keep things going.  I've seen a lot of blogs get started and then trail off when people get bored of it or too busy, and I just didn't want to be one of those people.  Turns out I shouldn't have worried.  Even if I stopped blogging tomorrow--which I won't do because things are hopefully just about to get good again (fingers crossed)--I've put in a good 4-1/2 years of this, enough to give Jacob some reading material years down the road.  I've covered the first four years of his life and his time in utero.  I just hope I can do the same for another baby one of these days. 

What I do here isn't exceptional--mommy bloggers are a dime a dozen and many of them are far more eloquent than I--but I am proud of what I've done here.  I treasure the fact that I have a chronicle of this life-changing period of time.  It's part diary, part baby book, part therapy.  It's been quite a ride over these last 800 posts, and I can't even fathom how things might change in the next 800.  Only time will tell...

No comments: