Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Everything's coming up roses...

The weekend Jacob turned one, we took a trip to the Maplewood Rose Garden here in Rochester.  I think I was intrigued because a) it was something different to do; and b) we saw the most amazing rose garden in Portland and I was interested to see what Rochester had to offer.  I just checked to see if I posted pictures of that trip, but surprisingly, I did not!  I guess it got lost in the shuffle of Jacob's first birthday and all that.  Or maybe I only had a picture or two of Jacob so I didn't think it was anything special to share.  Anyway, as you may recall if you were at the party, Jacob's first birthday was a rainy mess.  It was cold and wet all day.  When we went to the Rose Festival the next day, it was starting to dry up but the damage had been done.  Most of the roses were destroyed or droopy, though I did get a couple pretty pictures of water-spotted flowers. 

In the years that followed, I always wanted to go back and see things looking a little more lively, but between Jacob's birthday, other birthdays, and more crappy weather, it just hadn't happened.  This year Jacob and I were flying solo for part of the Rose Festival weekend, and I decided it was worth a stop.  It was a gorgeous day and it was a good excuse to be outside.  And sure enough, the roses were gorgeous!
Perfection.

This one reminded me of frilly ruffles!

Never seen one like this!

So gorgeous!

Jacob wasn't particularly into the flowers, but he's always up for an excuse to run around outside!

My cool little dude

Showing me a pretty one

He saw this mound of mulch and decided it was a pitcher's mound!  Look at that form!
There's a pretty fountain on one side of the park, and we had to wait our turn to go see it because a giant wedding party was getting pictures around it.  Finally we got our chance, and I managed to get Jacob to sit still long enough for a couple attempts at a self-portrait.  And we actually got a good one:

We had a great time at the park and on the walk to and from the car (where you can see the Genesee River gorge and a giant waterfall (the Lower Falls, I think).  We had a lovely dinner together and a very successful shopping trip--Super Hero Squad summer PJs and superhero swim trunks that I hoped to find, both on clearance, as well as a cool pair of lacrosse shorts on clearance that were a spur-of-the-moment purchase!  We had a great evening.

Sunday we went to Buffalo for our niece and nephew's 10th birthday party (I remember the day they were born!  Craig and I weren't even engaged yet, but it was only a few weeks away!), and we had a great day there.  Jacob had fun playing with his cousins, dressing up in wacky costumes (again), and playing soccer as much as he could. 

Tomorrow is the big day--Jacob's 4th birthday.  I can't believe it.  The presents are wrapped, I have the day off on Friday to plan his party, and I've spent the last couple days reminiscing as usual.  It's amazing to be at this point.  I'm sure I'll have plenty more to report in the next couple days!

No comments: