Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Scarred

One year ago yesterday was Jacob's mole removal surgery. I knew it was right around this time of year, but I didn't know the date until I looked back in the blog, and voila...January 24th, 2011. That was quite the day. I mean, it was an early morning, and a cold one at that. We had to send our little boy off with a surgeon, then go through the stress of waiting extra long while the drugs wore off. We were home pretty early and the worst was over, but we crammed a lot of emotion and action into those few hours.

A year later, the scar is probably about as good as it's going to get.  I take comfort in the fact that someday it'll be covered with leg hair.  I tried to get a good picture of it, but it wasn't easy.  This was probably the best I got. 
Interestingly, there's another picture I took where you can barely see it.  It just depends on the angle and how the light reflects off of it.  The skin is mostly the same color now, despite what you see above, but there's a definite scar.  But the irregular cells are gone, and that's what's important.  A scar is nothing compared to a healthy little boy.

Ironically, over the past year another scar has replaced it on the top of the list of body concerns, the one on Jacob's face that he got on his trip to Delaware Labor Day weekend.  That one is slowly but surely getting better, but I'm not sure it'll ever totally go away.  It's all a part of him now, right?  I'm still hoping his little boy skin will heal better, but we'll see.  There will be many more where they came from, too, I'm sure.

While I was trying to take a picture of his leg, I took this one of his feet.  I never took a super cute one when he was tiny, so I figured I'd get one now before I totally lost my chance...
That's my moose, Loosey Moosey in between the feet.  Those feet are gigantic compared to what they once were.  Still cute, though.
He slept all night on the floor last night and decided to do it again tonight.  He has a significant layer of stuffed animals and some comfy blankets to keep himself snuggly, but we have no idea why he finds this concept so novel.  As long as he sleeps through the night I'm not going to bug him about it...unless it goes on way too long and we're risking him being "the weird kid who doesn't sleep in a bed".  Such an oddball.

But he's our oddball, and we wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments: