Wednesday, January 4, 2012

News & Notes

- We now have a date for the Disney trip, which means we have a self-imposed deadline for one last try before taking a baby-making break.  Not that we're even trying in the traditional sense...it's all just a shot in the dark at this point.  I haven't seen one positive ovulation test yet.  Not that I've been consistent, but I guess things have been that far off.  On one hand it seems asinine to let a trip get in the way of creating our second child, but then again, there are a lot of people involved in this trip (eight not counting us) and it's a huge thing for Jacob, so I guess we'll target five years apart instead of three (and then four).  I have to do some calculating to see when we can at least try again without risking the trip.  That would mean another trip without rides, but I suppose that's among the best case scenarios here, since it means we'd be on our way to another baby.  It's bothering me a lot but I'm trying not to worry about it, because that will only make things worse.

- Have I mentioned that Jacob is pretty much potty trained?  Day trained, at least.  Of course, posting it here means that he will start peeing his pants right about...now.  I don't know when it happened, but it just did.  He started to be really good about going to the potty without us asking.  He'd had very few accidents at daycare.  And most importantly, the wet spots on his undies became fewer and smaller.  I had long suspected that his bladder just wasn't ready yet, and perhaps now it is.  Or maybe it was his brain all along.  Either way, things appear to have caught up.  He's been dry for naps at home for a while, but night is still going to be a while yet.  Still, this has been awesome and I'm so excited he finally gets it.  It's like having a real big boy.

- This weekend we're taking Jacob to his first Sabres' game.  The Sabres were a huge part of both Craig's and my life growing up (my parents had season tickets, Craig even went to Sabres' hockey school), so it's neat to share that with him.  Amerks' games have been old hat his whole life, but Sabres' games are a whole different ballgame.  He's already been to the arena for a Bandits-Knighthawks game, but it's exciting to take him there for the sport I know best.  It's been far too long since I've been to a game.  Craig's been to a couple here and there through work, but I think it's been five or six years since my last one.  That seems like so long ago, but I think that's the case.  Considering how often I went to games when I was a teenager (thanks to my late Uncle Bink's work connections--it was the best thing ever when my cousin Kim and I could go there by ourselves!  Ironically, she works there now!), it's actually a little sad that it's been this long.  Hopefully it's a good game and Jacob enjoys himself.  We'll see if our connections to players on both teams are able to enhance the experience.  There's a chance...

- This coming weekend marks the official end of the off-season.  The Knighthawks first game, a road game, is the following weekend, and there are games every weekend from then through the end of April with the exception of one weekend.  I know I shouldn't complain because there are about 20 hockey games Craig hasn't had to work this year, but it's never easy when it starts.  Jacob and I do fine, but it's always nice having Craig around.  One of my favorite bloggers writes about her husband's work trips quite a bit, and she's got three kids (including a newborn) so she's got plenty more to complain about.  She always says that the anticipation of the trips is worse than the trips themselves.  I think she's probably busy enough to not wallow in self pity once he leaves, but I can relate to the whole anticipation thing.  Knowing that you're going solo for a few days, you have time to think about all of the things that can go wrong and worry about how you'd manage if they did.  In reality, if something goes wrong, you just deal.  It may not be easy, but you do.  The bright side is that Jacob loves going to games (and so do I), and it provides some extra incentive for my parents to come visit now and then.  We'll miss Craig when he's traveling or working a 14 hour day, though.  Speaking of which, he's probably on his way home from Canada right now after a full work day and a trip north for Knighthawks practice.  Time to get to bed so I can sleep deeply enough to not wake up when he gets home.  I was awake with Jacob at 4:30 this morning (not sure if he really wasn't feeling great or just wanted to play) and I never really went back to sleep after that, so I need to get whatever sleep I can.  Getting back to the grind this week has been tough (though routines have their perks), but thank goodness for a four-day week!

No comments: