Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Randoms...

1) I am really tired today. Like, exhausted. I can hardly keep my eyes open at my desk. I'm not sure what the cause is. No, I'm pretty darn sure I'm not pregnant. I did have to wake up early this morning for an 8am doctor's appointment, which I'm sure didn't help. I'm certainly not getting enough sleep these days, dating back into the core of the holiday season. I did get some reasonable sleep here and there over my week off, but I suppose it just wasn't enough to catch up. I'm hoping I'm not coming down with something, and hoping even more it isn't something terrible, but it's probably just me not taking care of myself correctly. It's one of the ways parenthood screws with you, making you wonder just which one of the many, many options might be causing your latest ailment.

2) The aforementioned doctor's appointment was my annual visit to the OB/GYN. I only mention that because I find it funny that I still get warm fuzzies when I go there, thanks to all of those blissful pregnancy visits. I loved going there each month to get the latest update on the baby and hear the heartbeat, all without having to take off a stitch of clothing. Those visits in the final month or so were a tad less pleasant, but I suppose the stats on how much I was dilated/effaced kept those appointments interesting. But I really did enjoy that time a lot, enough to soften the blow of the annual visit. Incidentally, my doctor left the practice since last year, and since I wasn't really that attached to her, I'm sticking with the practice and need to pick a new doctor. Of course, I can't remember a darn thing about which doctors I liked when I had to see most of them during my prenatal visits. I do remember a couple that I didn't so much like (nothing major, just being picky), but between pregnancy brain and doctors coming in and out, it's taken me a lot of thinking to figure out which one I think I'm going to aim for next year. Of course, with any luck by the end of the year I'll get another chance to test out each one, since the practice purposely makes you see as many doctors as possible so you're familiar with whoever is on call when you deliver. Figures, then, that I ended up with one of two doctors I hadn't seen!
3) In case I forgot to mention it, Jacob has been pretty good lately. I know I mentioned that he was well-behaved around Kate, and I think I mentioned how nicely he played and snuggled when I wasn't feeling great on New Year's Day, but in general he's gone through a pretty good streak. It has still had its moments, of course, as he is still two, but as a whole he's been good. He's played nicely by himself, is at least manageable at mealtime, and doesn't constantly run away when I come to get him at daycare. He's put up a bit of a fight at bedtime ("Don't want Mommy to leave"), but shortly after the wail as I leave the room, he quiets right down and presumably falls asleep shortly thereafter. I haven't gotten any negative comments from daycare this week, though I've probably now jinxed that. I'm never sure whether time at home will make things better or worse. It might get him out of some bad habits, but screwing with his schedule is always a little dicey. Will he enjoy the time with us so much that he wants to behave better, or will he act out when he finally does have to go back to express his displeasure? Maybe he'll learn to appreciate the balance--his special time at home vs. the fun and engagement at daycare--or maybe he'll decide once and for all that he likes one better than the other. So far things seem to be going well, but we'll have to see if he slips back into old habits. In the meantime, though, it's been nice.

4) I'm hoping the next few months will fly by. I'm not trying to wish away precious moments, mind you, but lately time has really been flying and considering the next few months are the usually the most trying of the year, I'd like that trend to continue. If December can zoom by in a flash, why not January, February and March? I was thinking this morning how we really only have two months left of hardcore winter. Yes, it will still be cold and snowy in March, but at least by then we start to see peeks of spring--a few randomly warm days, less consistent snowfall and freezing temps--so there's hope on the horizon even if it does take two more months for good weather to come. We were so spoiled last year with summer weather (and leaves!) in April that I'm trying to keep my expectations low. The next few months also coincide with Craig's busiest time of year. The Knighthawks' season starts this weekend with his first roadtrip, and from there on out he's only got a couple off days here and there until late April. It's hard on Jacob and me, and even harder on Craig, so the sooner we can get past it, the better. And then it will be back to warm weather and more summer fun...

Finally, as your reward for surviving my random ramblings, here are a couple treats...

First, here's a picture of Jacob, asleep in his carseat on New Year's Eve. We put him in his pjs before we left the party, and just before we left, a partygoer handed out glow necklaces to all the kids. Jacob was playing with it in the car and put it on his head sometime before he fell asleep...and hence he became a sleeping little angel. A little angel with a mouth and fingers dyed orange from cheese puff dust, but an angel nonetheless.

And here is the crown jewel of things I captured with my camera over Christmas. As I mentioned, Kate was a little hesitant to get too close to Grandpa most of the time we were there, but the iPad broke some of the ice. As I mentioned, the iPad has an app that lets you make splashes in a fish pond and scare away the fish. I posted a picture of this a few days ago, but here's the video. It's pretty darn cute all around.
video
Doesn't get much better than that...

1 comment:

wahab said...

Glow bracelets and glow necklaces are considered novelty party products. They are referred to as glow sticks necklaces and bracelets sometimes because they are in essence special size glow sticks.
Glow Necklaces