Saturday, January 8, 2011


One of the things that takes adjusting when you become a parent is that your life is no longer your own. Sure, you spend insane amounts of time doing things for your child--feeding them, rocking them, playing with them--and have to make lots of little adjustments, too. You need to get ready earlier because it always takes forever to get a baby/toddler dressed for outside, you need to build in more time for meals once your child self-feeds, and you need to build in time for naps and playing as much as you possibly can. Fortunately most of it doesn't happen all at once. Infants are all-consuming at times, yes, but you can usually put them in their seat and run errands while they nap, or multitask while they play in a bouncy seat, or whatever. Toddlers come with their own challenges, like needing a solid block of time for a good nap or needing to run off their boundless energy. But one thing that's always been among the toughest aspects for me is when your child's needs drastically change your plans. I find it hard to schedule errands in the evening because of our schedule, so usually my weekends are important for so many reasons. I need extra sleep, I need to run errands, I need to do things around the house, etc. I mentioned the other day that blocks of time on weekends are key because I can get a lot more done at once than doing a little here and there in the evenings. Jacob's nap time is especially important...yet here I sit blogging, but whatever :)

Anyway, this weekend Craig is on his first roadtrip of the season (Knighthawks opener is tonight in Minnesota), and I was planning on taking Jacob's to my parents for the weekend. My dad's birthday was yesterday (Happy Birthday, Dad!), so I figured it was good timing. We also didn't get to go there last weekend because I wasn't feeling great, so I was really looking forward to this weekend. Well, earlier in the week we noticed that Jacob's one ear was bright red. It was hot to the touch as well. The other one was totally fine, and he seemed just fine overall. I did some research on the internet and couldn't really find anything definitive. Some people have a recurring problem with it, with no official cause, and others said that their kids (mostly boys, go figure) get it sometimes too. Some did say that it happened when their kids got tired or when they were about to get a fever. Great. When I saw that his ear was still red on Thursday when I picked him up from daycare, I called the doctor. They said it was probably nothing as long as the ear wasn't swelled up. When I went to look, the ear wasn't red anymore. By bedtime, Jacob started feeling a little warm. I couldn't get much higher than a 99 on the thermometer, so I figured we'd see how he was in the morning. By morning it was the same and for the most part he seemed ok, so we sent him to daycare.

At 4pm I got a call that his temp was up to 102, so I had to leave work early to pick him up. Unfortunately, we had to go to Wegmans to pick up a couple essentials, so he had to suffer through that before we could go home. He had his moments but was generally fine. He ate his dinner well (who wouldn't with waffles?) and seemed okay until we got on the webcam with my parents. He started to get whiny and clingy during our chat, and pretty much stayed that way for the rest of the night. Around 7:30 I got him into his pjs and gave him some Tylenol. I was holding off on meds until bedtime because I only had Tylenol and didn't have Ibuprofen to overlap it with. I think the fever just started getting the best of him and he crashed. I let him fall asleep on me on the couch. I can't remember the last time he slept on me like that. Maybe last year when he was sick? It brought back memories of lots of chest sleeping naps back in the day, though. I let him sleep on me for a while but eventually took him up to his crib.

All was well until 1:30, his first wakeup. He wanted water, and I think that was when I gave him his next dose of Tylenol. I hoped that would get him through the night, but he was up around 3:30 wanting me to retrieve a lost stuffed animal that had fallen through the bars. At that time he started begging to come into bed with me, but I resisted. At 4am he woke up crying, and at that point I wanted to sleep, so in he came. Miraculously, he stopped talking fairly quickly and we both slept in until about 8:30, with a few brief wakeups from 7am on. Not bad. Unfortunately, he still had a fever this morning so the trip to Buffalo was out. His energy is good, though, so that's positive. I'm hoping the fever will break later today or early tomorrow. In the meantime, we did have to go back to Wegmans this morning (my doctor forgot to call in a prescription I needed today), so while we were there I got the Ibuprofen (he's now firmly into Children's medicines, rather than Infants), and I was able to bolster this morning's Tylenol with Ibuprofen to get him through his nap.

Since we're here all weekend I'm going to try to get down at least a sizable portion of the Christmas decorations and hopefully get some things done that I wouldn't have otherwise been able to do. I'd still rather be hanging out at my parents and letting Jacob entertain us all, but I'll have to make the best of it. It's just never easy when your child's issues get in the way of fun, particularly when they're sick. It's a lose-lose situation for everyone. So, while I work on avoiding having a pity party for myself, I hope everyone else has a good weekend :)

No comments: