Monday, October 25, 2010

A Weekend Without Photos

It was bound to happen. I finally forgot the camera and it proved to be the only photo-worthy moment for the whole weekend. Ugh. When I left off on the Halloween tale of woe, Jacob had no costume. He had refused everything in the store and any of my ideas, determined to be a goalie. That was not happening for many reasons. A little while before we left for the hockey game at which he could trick-or-treat in the suites, I went up to his closet to see if I could fashion a halfway decent baseball costume from some of the jersey-ish shirts he has. But when I opened up his closet, my eye was drawn up to the fireman-themed raincoat my mom gave him for his birthday. A-ha! I knew that the Halloween store was selling fireman helmets for cheap, and Jacob likes wearing the fireman helmets at daycare (they're baseball helmets to him), so it seemed to be my best bet. It took some convincing, but it worked long enough to get him through trick-or-treating. He got a nice little pumpkin full of candy, and I let him have just a few pieces before tucking it away to reduce the odds of a sleep-interrupting sugar rush. But, since I ended up changing from the diaper bag to a backpack right before we left for the game, I forgot the camera to capture the moment. Ugh. And yes, I have decided that when I have way too much stuff to carry around, the backpack works better because it completely zips up and nothing falls out of it when I bend over or contort myself to catch Jacob as he runs away, which lately is all I feel like I do when we're together. I guess pictures of the costume will have to wait for Friday or Sunday. Assuming he'll let me put it on him again, of course.

As a whole this weekend bordered on hellish. Jacob fought us on EVERYTHING. The only time he was good was while we were at the hockey game. He sat nicely, trick-or-treated very well, and even fell asleep fairly easily once we got home. There was one downright lovely moment, actually, right at the beginning of the hockey game. There was a tribute to Craig Charron before the game, and I was all teary-eyed and sniffling for most of it. I don't know if Jacob picked up on that or not. He's not the most empatheic kid out there, after all. As the game was getting started I asked him if he wanted to sit on my lap or sit in his own seat. I'd had him in my lap so I could keep him close through the tribute, but lately he's been sitting in his own seat most of the time. He told me he wanted to sit on my lap, and then ended up giving me a big hug, totally out of the blue. I don't know why, but maybe he sensed something. It was certainly well-timed, if nothing else.

But Sunday morning it was back to more of the same. Church wasn't too bad, all things considered. A couple less than lovely moments, but he was manageable most of the time. He fell asleep on the way home from church for about 10 minutes, but woke up as I put him in his crib. He was quite awake so I figured we should just eat lunch so I could get him down for a decent nap before the Craig Charron celebration of life that started at 3pm. Well...Jacob had other plans. He refused to nap and I was at my wits' end by the time Craig stopped home from a player appearance to shower and change before heading out to the setup for the Sharky event. I sucked it up and somehow managed to get Jacob out the door. But for pretty much the entire four hour event, he was intolerable. He just wanted to play hockey and run out to look at the ice. He refused to sit still, play near us, or make it easy for us to do anything. We were constantly taking turns chasing him, grabbing him as he tried to escape from the other's grasp, or policing his high-sticking tendencies. It made it hard to really enjoy the event or properly mourn/celebrate our friend. I tried to listen to the speeches and take a few minutes to watch the photo slide show and the tape of Game 7 of the 1996 Calder Cup Finals that was playing in the background, but it wasn't easy. I was still happy we went and felt fortunate to be a part of a great event honoring a great guy, but I was so exhausted by the end. And, at long last, so was Jacob. I could see he was fading and I finally got him to the point where he laid his head on my shoulder and I could rock him to sleep. We took turns carting him around for about 30-45 minutes, and I finally packed up and headed out. He woke up when I put him in his carseat at 7pm, and I let him stay up for a bit once we got home, hoping he'd tire himself out again. He went down at 8pm with little fanfare, and slept right through until I woke him up this morning. Thank God.

I'm hoping it's all just a short phase, or that maybe he's not feeling well and it's making him extra cranky. Could be time for another doctor visit to ensure that he doesn't have an ear infection, but I guess we'll just have to watch a bit. But his behavior this weekend was intolerable. It shouldn't be a battle every time we try to do something--eat a meal, go to bed, play nicely, leave the house, change a diaper, put on a costume. He's constantly trying to run away, no matter how many times we tell him that if he does it in public someone could take him away. He'll get weepy for a second when we tell him that, but 10 seconds later he's off again. He's got no fear and seems unfazed by the amount of stress he's causing us. Sometimes he'll apologize, but that seems to happen more often when we're holding a hockey stick hostage or he wants to do something and thinks an apology will get him what he wants. Lovely. He's usually so intent on playing hockey or lacrosse that nothing will dissuade him. Usually he'll do it in the middle of someone's walking path and swing his stick around no matter whose body parts may be in the way. He was so good about that for so long, and now suddenly his stick is up all the time. Yesterday I think he would have gladly sat and stared at the ice for a long time, but obviously that wasn't really on our agenda. And while he's two and I get that adult functions (even kid-friendly ones like this one) aren't his thing, shouldn't we be trying to get him used to being polite and functional when he has to be at one? Apparently he's not buying it.

So, yeah, rough weekend. And no photos to capture the one good moment. Maybe next weekend...

No comments: