Friday, October 15, 2010

Quick Update

Jacob does not have strep throat...yet. The swab came back negative, though they did send another off to the lab. The white spots in his throat could have been caused by another virus, but as of now, it's not strep. So, the good news is that Jacob got to go to daycare today and we both got to go to work...and yes, since it's an Amerks' gameday and considering the amount of work I have right now, that is a VERY good thing. I'm still worried that he'll touch something strep-infested at daycare and get it anyway, or that the bit of fluid that's currently in his ears will turn into another ear infection, but for now we're ok. At least I don't have to keep feeling bad that I missed some major symptom and didn't know my kid had strep. He's still got a touch of a runny nose and a sporadic cough, but what else is new? That's part of the reason I think I never know Jacob's sick. When you always have a runny nose and cough going on, what more is there to notice? Aside from maybe a fever and some pain-induced screaming, I'm not sure. His energy level never seems to change, and I think even if it did I'd be so happy to have the break/additional cuddle time that it wouldn't even occur to me that he was sick. I think that's the tough part of kids--they're forever changing and it's hard to know if something is just a blip on the radar, or a full blown problem, or a complete and permanent change. One day potty training is going just fine, the next it's a disaster...so is it a major backslide, or just a bad day? Mealtime has been brutal lately, but aha!--a well-eaten dinner! Does that mean it's the start of something good, or just one day where the child's tastes and that night's meal matched up? The child finally listens when asked to pick up their toys. Did the light bulb finally click on, or is it pure luck? With kids and their moods, I guess you just never know.

Regardless, we have a busy weekend on tap. Hockey tonight and hopefully the pumpkin patch tomorrow. It's been raining pretty much all day and it's supposed to go until tomorrow morning, so things might be a little muddy. However, I may just have to suck it up and deal with some muddy shoes and pants (and whatever else) tomorrow, just so we get our fun in. Should be interesting...

No comments: