Thursday, July 30, 2009

Vacation

It's been a year and a half since my last real vacation. Craig and I went to Orlando in December 2007, a month after we found out I was pregnant. The trip had already been planned, and fortunately, the pregnancy didn't really impact it other than preventing me from being able to ride roller coasters. Although, for those who know me, that was a big deal because I am a coaster fanatic and had been waiting to ride Space Mountain since I was about 10. Still, it was worth it...no way did I want to jeopardize the baby's safety. We still managed to have a great time. We had great weather, my morning sickness subsided just as we went, and I was still in my bottomless pit stage so eating was great! And at the time we understood that that would probably be it for a while as far as vacations went. We wouldn't want to be traveling far with a baby, or leaving the baby for an extended period, so we knew it might be a while before we got to go anywhere significant again. And sure enough, a year and a half later, here we are.

While part of me is dying to just get out and go somewhere exotic and interesting, I'm still not sure I'm willing to leave Jacob for any extended period of time (though our Niagara Falls overnight gave me hope that I could do it sometime in the not-so-distant future) or to attempt to travel with him. At this point he's so young that it seems a little silly to take him anywhere too interesting, since he won't remember it. It's expensive to fly the two of us anywhere, let alone Jacob. Granted, we don't HAVE to buy him a plane seat yet, but I once read that if you have your kid on your lap and something goes wrong, they become, in essence, your air bag. Yikes. And just the thought of traveling with a car seat, stroller, and everything else babies involve just makes me nervous. Particularly if we're going somewhere where we can't exactly make ourselves at home and have a carton of milk in the fridge. Even if we're just talking about car travel, I know that we fill up the car for a weekend, so I can only imagine how we'd fit everything we'd need for a week.

My goal for this summer was to take Jacob to Ocean City, NJ, a place I went a number of years ago (how did seven years go by so quickly?) with my friends and LOVED. It's just a quaint town, family friendly, with a great boardwalk, nice beach, and enough tempting snack foods to keep me in a sugar coma for days. I figured Jacob would enjoy the beach and we'd have a great time just walking the boardwalk, lounging on the beach, and hopefully checking out Atlantic City and other places along the way. Seemed simple enough, but it's not a cheap place to stay (no chain hotels!), and eventually the thought of packing up for a week or so made me think that it wouldn't be a very relaxing vacation.

So...enter the "staycation". Everyone is taking them this year thanks to the economy, or so it seems. I've heard that term a LOT lately. We're staying close to home next week, with a couple mini-trips. Friday we're leaving for NT to spend a long weekend with my parents and my brother's family. It's their first trip back east since my niece Kate was born in December, I can't wait to meet her! My parents are giddy at the thought of having their two grandchildren in the same place at the same time, and it will be interesting to see if they interact. If nothing else we might get a couple good photo ops. It will be a lot of fun, and while I wish we could stay longer, I'd feel bad trapping Craig at my parents' though Wednesday, if nothing else. It's his vacation, too. There are plenty of other things we'd like to accomplish next week. Every day I watch my friends' Facebook status updates when they're home with their kids, and I get jealous. I think of all the things we could do if I wasn't working full time. And honestly, next week is my chance to try. I don't really want to cram everything into one week because it won't be that relaxing, but I'm going to try to keep busy so we don't spend hours every day trying to keep Jacob out of trouble in our house. On tap right now is a trip to Corning on Tuesday. Jacob and I are meeting up with my long time friend Heather at the Corning Museum of Glass. I've wanted to go there for ages but never had a chance. It seemed like a good opportunity to meet Heather halfway (she's in Binghamton), and I think Jacob will like all of the colors. And I'm sure he will point out every round object we see and identify it as a "ball". Wednesday we may take a trip to Bills' training camp. One day I want to take an hour or two and head to the beach here in Rochester. Since we didn't get to do it Sunday thanks to this lovely weather (I hope to post a picture of our alternative activity soon), I'd like to do it now. We have the sand toys, after all! Thursday will no doubt be a packing day, in preparation for our weekend trip to Pittsburgh with Craig's family. We plan to see a baseball game, go to the zoo, and check out a sports museum. We've also toyed with the idea of trying to hook up with a former Amerk who works for the Penguins to get a tour of the Igloo, their arena. We shall see. It should be a good time.

I have a feeling we might end up just as exhausted after this staycation as we would have had we gone somewhere else, but the quality time with Jacob will be nice. As an added bonus it will involve minimal interruption to his schedule. It should just feel like one big, long weekend to him :) And in the end it's probably best. Sure I'd like to go somewhere interesting, but I'll put it off for a little longer and hopefully we can take a great vacation down the line that he will appreciate that much more. Hopefully I'll end up with a lot of pictures and a lot of good memories. I'll keep you posted!

No comments: