Friday, July 10, 2009

Hooray for Small Victories!

As a whole I'd say Jacob has been better this week. He's still been quite fussy at mealtimes, and is really a handful to keep out of things, but he's had a lot of happy time this week. Thank goodness. Getting sleep has been fantastic, though I'm still finding myself rather tired. But it is such a great thing when he's asleep and can even put himself back to sleep at times. Such a great feeling...and one less thing to worry about! Food, on the other hand...ugh. When a kid barely wants to eat a cheeseburger, I'm not sure what more I can do. Can a kid survive on fruit, yogurt, milk, and some meat? Hmmmm.

So, when I do get a victory in some battle we've been having, it's nice. Recently one major battle had been toothbrushing. Jacob did not want any part of it. He's got those four cute little teeth, but the second I would come at him with a toothbrush, he would clamp his mouth shut like he did back in the early days of solid food. So frustrating. Well, the nurse at the doctor's office suggested trying a finger brush (the kind that go over your finger) or trying toothpaste. They make baby toothpaste that doesn't have fluoride and is therefore safe to swallow....and because it tastes good, he might be more willing to open his mouth for it.

So, yesterday we went grocery shopping and I picked up some toothpaste (it has Thomas the Tank Engine on it and is "Tooty Fruity" flavored...get it?) and a cute little Winnie the Pooh toothbrush (I was afraid the one we had that came with our baby health/toiletry kit was too rough). After dinner I loaded up the brush, grabbed Jacob, and headed to the sink. At first he resisted again, but then the toothpaste touched his lip. You could almost see it registering and him going, "Wait a second...what was that?" and soon enough his mouth was open and I gave his teeth a quick brush! It felt so good to figure out something that worked! Now, he might fight me on it once the novelty wears off, I suppose, but for now...problem solved!

Fun weekend coming up...my parents are coming to visit tomorrow and stay overnight, and then we're going to walk around the Corn Hill Arts festival here in Rochester on Sunday. Should be good weather and a lot of fun!

No comments: