Thursday, July 16, 2009

Photo Thursday and Another Milestone!

Just wanted to share some photos from last weekend's trip to the Corn Hill Arts Festival here in Rochester. One of these days I will take a picture of the one purchase we made, but I forgot this time around. Anyway, here's Jacob chillin' in his stroller...

He put his foot like that all by himself, I swear. And a couple more cute smiles I couldn't resist sharing...


And as for the milestone...last night Jacob got his first haircut! It had been a long time in coming, and it felt so good to get it over with. See, Jacob was born with this perfect head of hair. Not too much, not too little, just a nice covering with a cute little swirl on the top. Soft and perfect. Shortly after birth, he started losing it off the top. He kept the back and sides, and for a short period of time, he looked like an old man with male pattern baldness. It finally started growing back in and was this lovely little fuzz for a while. I loved rubbing it. Eventually that grew in, but by then the sides and back (which were growing all along) were getting long. The hair was falling over his ears, hitting his collar, and generally becoming a nuisance after messy meals and long sleeps. But it still seemed a little funny to take him for a haircut, because he didn't have a lot of hair in general! Anyway, it had really begun to bother me a lot...when there was food in it, when it wouldn't lay down even with water, when it looked funny in pictures...so we finally got around to getting it done. Yesterday was my work picnic so Jacob and I had a nice afternoon together and got home about 45 minutes earlier than usual. We made good use of the time with a bunch of running around. Our first stop was for haircuts--for Jacob and Craig. We went to this place nearby that advertised itself as kid-friendly. It's not one of those places where they get to sit in a rocketship or anything, but it's sports-themed so that was cool. They had TVs so I figured if nothing else there would be more distractions than your average place...and distractions are a good thing with a squirmy baby! Jacob woke up a little cranky after his nap on the way home from the picnic, and didn't seem much better after he ate, but we figured this was our best shot at getting it done so we decided to take the chance. As you can see from the pictures below, Jacob didn't exactly enjoy himself. He calmed down after I put down the camera and picked him up while she finished the back. And really, after that he was a lot of fun the rest of the evening.

Among our post-haircut stops was a quest to get him a new sun hat. All of a sudden his plaid hat seemed really small on him, so we tried the Children's Place in Henrietta (we had to go down there for something else anyway) and managed to find him a new baseball hat and a bucket hat for a grand total of less than $6. Woohoo! I love clearance!

This weekend we are going to be taking another big step as Craig and I spend our first night together away from Jacob. While I'm sure it'll be good for us, it's still a little scary. I trust my parents, but I also know that Jacob can be unpredictable and quite resourceful, so it concerns me that he'll do something crazy, something that will surprise them (in a bad way) with his ability to get himself in a precarious position. It's been a while since they've had to compensate for a baby's ability to disregard safety. It only takes one slightly careless moment...I'm used to it and I myself have dodged a couple bullets in the past couple months. I'd never forgive myself if something went wrong. And not just that, but I don't want him to freak out if Mommy and Daddy aren't around to feed him or put him to bed. Or, maybe I'm just as nervous that it won't even phase him! It's only for about 24 hours and we'll be just a phone call and a quick drive away, but it's still a little nerve-wracking. I know I'll miss him like crazy. I'll probably also enjoy a little freedom, but still...he'll always be in the back of my mind, at the very least. That's how it's been with every date night we've had...a constant eye on the cell phone and a nervous grimmace on our faces when we walk back in the door. I used to enjoy overnights with my grandparents when I was a kid (as far as I can recall) but I'm not sure when missing my parents stopped and enjoying it started. I guess all we can do is try! Wish us luck!

1 comment:

Mom B. said...

Trust Grandpa and Grandma to take care of Jacob! We can handle most anything--I hope!!