Saturday, January 19, 2013

The Last Couple Days...

So, I went to the doctor on Thursday, and the one I saw seemed unphased by my claims of discomfort.  Perhaps I wasn't emphatic enough.  I'm not regretting not being more dramatic or something, because I am seriously uncomfortable.  I get that I'm five years older.  I know that I'm going to be more tired because I'm running after a four year old.  I understand that when all of these muscles are being stretched for a second time, it can be more uncomfortable than when they start out strong and supportive.  I know that Braxton-Hicks contractions can be common.  But I am not convinced that something isn't going on here.

She told me that if contractions are less than 10 minutes apart, that's worth a phone call.  But here's the thing, I don't know exactly what a contraction is.  That sounds stupid, but because I was induced, I don't know what normal contractions feel like.  All of the contractions I did have prior to the epidural were in my lower back and felt like bad cramps.  I don't know what belly-based contractions feel like.  However, now that I've been thinking about it for a couple days, I'm starting to think that the sensation I get that feels like the baby moving into a part of my belly is really a contraction.  They don't hurt but they can be a little uncomfortable at times.  

The thing is, though, I get them all the time.  Any time I exert myself in the slightest--my 15 minutes on the treadmill the other night, five minutes of taking apart my Christmas tree tonight, whatever--I start feeling pressure.  Sometimes it's discomfort under my belly.  Sometimes it's "sensations" in the nether-regions.  I looked back in the blog and I don't think that feeling started until about eight months last time, about two weeks before Jacob was born.  God forbid this baby is only a couple weeks away, because I need more time than that...and so does he!  I started training our assistant this week in all of the stuff I do, but there's so much more.  I haven't washed a single thing for this baby and we really need to get the bedroom painted.  

I'm just concerned that one of these days I'm going to shift and my water's going to break.  It seems so early to be pulling out the towel for my car seat and the waterproof pad for my bed, but I may just do that this weekend.  Perhaps I'm being overly concerned or overly dramatic, but the vibe I'm getting from my body right now is not good.  It's such a far cry from where I was last time at this point.  And while there's no set reason to believe that any action is imminent, there's no reason that I would be exempt from that happening either.  I wouldn't be the first person who went into labor way too early.  I think about Jacob and how he basically got stuck on his way out, even though he was two weeks early.  Maybe my body learned its lesson last time and it's thinking that it can't do that again.  I don't know.  I'm nervous, though.  My next appointment is in two weeks, so we'll see how things are going then.

Yesterday I was sitting at my desk in the early afternoon when my boss called my desk from the conference room.  She said she was in a meeting but had a question for me, so she asked me to come in.  And when I walked in, most of my co-workers were sitting there.  So guess what....surprise!  It was a little gathering to celebrate the baby!  I had no idea it was coming and they totally caught me off-guard!  We had some cake...

And everyone chipped in for gift cards that should help us buy whatever we need to get this baby up and running!  My boss also found a little moose, so this baby officially has his first stuffed animal, since his big brother has commandeered the rest of the ones in the house and is hesitant to give them up!
Hard to do him justice, but his belly is sort of a striped sweater material and he's got colorful paws and a whimsical facial expression.  He's cute and little...perfect for the baby :)

It was a pleasant surprise and it was so sweet of everyone to do that.  We've had a series of babies lately so people are probably getting sick of it by now!  Particularly the people that were around for my first baby shower!  But it was great.  We were supposed to have one with Craig's co-workers, too, but that got postponed due to a family emergency for the person who planned it.  Hopefully that will happen in the next week or two so we know what we need to get.  At this point I'm most concerned with diapers and a new monitor, and probably a few more outfits for the baby, though I know we'll probably get some gifts along the way once he's born.  I'll know more once I dig into all of the stuff that's waiting in the crawl space!

Today my parents are in town and a friend of theirs who lives here in town did a bunch of little things around the house, generally shaving down doors to accommodate our plush new carpet and re-installing guides for the closet doors.  It was such a huge help!  We'll go to the Knighthawks game tonight, one of the few games Jacob and I will be able to go to this season.  Once this baby comes we'll be stuck at home, unfortunately, both because of the noise and the confined space full of sick people.  And, let's face it, I'm not sure I'm that daring to go to a three-hour event full of crowds and noise with a newborn and a crazy four year old.  I took Jacob to an outdoor lacrosse game when he was six weeks old, but that environment is so different, I only had one kid to manage, and I had help, so it seemed like so much less of a big deal than a Knighthawks game would be.  I know Jacob will miss it, and so will I, but we'll just have to enjoy it while we can!  

Hopefully I can be at least a little productive with the rest of the weekend, whether it's hanging my curtains or filling out maternity leave paperwork or pulling baby stuff out of the basement.  Any of those things would be great, but we'll see what my body will allow!

No comments: