Wednesday, January 2, 2013

A Real Activity and Some Short Shots

Yesterday Jacob and I put together a gingerbread house.  My plan was to get one on clearance after Christmas and do it as an activity sometime during our week off.  It took a few days to find one, and then it took until our last day off to do it, but we did it!  And it actually went well!
Jacob's been really into baseball the last few days...can you tell?  He moved right on to baseball before I could even take a picture of him with our finished house!
 Jacob did a really good job putting candy on wherever I squirted icing, and even made suggestions himself on where he wanted to put stuff.  This particular house was a Wonka house, which came with SweeTarts, Bottle Caps, Nerds, and Runts.  We also had some Hershey Kisses, and I bought a clearance candy cane of Rolos to give us a few more options.  Jacob was really into it and seemed to enjoy the project.  And the candy.  Of course.  Here are the views...
Jacob did a lot on this side, including the decorations around the door .  My main contribution  is the "bushes" in the front, made out of Rolos with heart-shaped Runts on top.

Notice my "Christmas lights" along the roof line, made out of Nerds!

I did most of this side, including the Rolo/Hershey Kiss trees (mini peanut butter cups work better than Rolos, but I didn't have any of those)

Jacob added the decorations to the roof on this side and did great!
The house didn't last long, as we finished it up a little before dinner, and dug into the roof as part of dessert.  Oh, well.

In other news...

- It snowed again today, which probably gives us close to two feet on the ground.  I don't even think the forecast called for snow today, but it ended up snowing at least a couple inches thanks to lake effect snow!  I think we already have about half as much snow as we ended up with all last winter, and most of it has come in the last week!  It would have been so nice to be pregnant last winter when it hardly snowed and the snow rarely stayed on the ground for more than a few days.  I can't shovel this year, and I'm afraid of another car accident or slipping on ice and snow when I'm walking outside.  On top of that, we had a week of 80 degree weather in March last year, and that would be awesome this year because it would be lovely to get out and walk the baby in weather like that!  I don't think we'll get a second easy winter in a row, though.

- Today I got a free sample of diapers that I had ordered online.  They were size 1 diapers, and man, they were so small!  Particularly now that I'm so used to Jacob's giant nighttime pull-ups, the tiny little baby diapers look so little.  And these weren't even the newborn size!

- I bought the baby a few outfits this weekend.  I had $10 to spend at JC Penney (thanks to their button promotion over the holidays), and I ended up finding some insanely cute outfits in the baby clearance section, including one that I'm eyeing up as the coming home outfit.  It might be a little big, but I couldn't bring myself to spend $11 on a newborn outfit that he might only fit in for a week or two.  With the free $10, the three outfits only cost $15 total.  At least this baby has a few clothes now!

- I did up a Babies 'R' Us registry for a baby shower that Craig's co-workers are throwing us next week.  The main big ticket item is a new monitor, a video one.  Besides that, I added some diapers, wipes, washcloths, long-sleeved onesies, hangers, diaper disposal bags, sterilization bags, new bottles, and a cuter drying rack, among other things.  It's not much, but I think it filled in some holes pretty nicely.  It's an interesting exercise to go through the registry process this time around.  Way less pressure!

- Jacob is loving his new big boy room.  It's still a bit of a work-in-progress, but he thinks it's so cool!  Wait until his furniture comes in.  I think the bed alone is going to blow his mind!  Of course, many of his animals have migrated with him, and while he's finally sleeping in a bed, he's got a full layer of animals under him.  I don't quite know how we're going to break that habit.

- Jacob is desperately trying to drop his nap.  I knew this time would come, but we're probably lucky he held out as long as he did.  He still naps at daycare but has been fighting it like crazy at home.  He will stay in his room for quite a while, though he almost constantly asks if he can get up yet.  Near the end of our break I pretty much gave up forcing him.  Of course, the one night he fell asleep on the drive to dinner and woke up acting like a lunatic.  Yesterday I told him he just had to have an hour of quiet time in his room.  He asked for a while when he could be done, and eventually he came out so many times that I tacked on another 15 minutes.  He was playing up there contentedly for 15 minutes beyond that, and suddenly we noticed it was awfully quiet.  Sure enough, he fell asleep in his bed and slept for a little over an hour.  So much for not needing a nap!

- I saw some pictures of myself from Christmas and was pretty horrified with what I saw.  I looked huge!  While I don't think I've gained a lot of excess weight, I guess the extra water weight may be adding to my face a bit, just enough to give me some minor jowl action.  Ugh.  But my belly looked huge, too, and obviously I can't help that one much.  Darn, I thought I was doing so well...but multiple bad pictures can't all be bad luck, can they?

Off to bed now...a doctor's appointment awaits in the morning!

No comments: