Tuesday, April 20, 2010

My New Nemesis

I have decided that the most frustrating issue we're dealing with right now is rubber legs. It's even more evil when it's coupled with squirming, stiffening, or lifting prevention. Wonder what I'm talking about? Well...consider yesterday's trip to the dollar store. I had been meaning to go to the larger Dollar Tree in our area because there were a couple things I wanted to check out--more drawer organizing baskets like I had previously purchased there (more drawers to organize now!), and new decals for Jacob's walls. As you may recall (or not--I think I mentioned them), I got a set of jungle animal wall decals for Jacob's old room. I put them next to his changing table to attempt to distract him during changes, at a time when he was squirming all over the place. They were a buck and were easy to peel off. Since the old ones bit the dust with the move, I wanted to replace them. I was hoping for some cute, cartoony alphabet letters. Instead I came home with two sets. One has a sports theme--a baseball and glove, football, basketball, hockey skates, and soccer ball. Oh, and there are boxing gloves, too, but those will NOT be going up. The other set is a bunch of letters. They're gray and are supposed to be a little more sophisticated than a little boy's room, but since they only had girly alphabets, these were the best I could do. They're supposed to create whimsical phrases, but I'm just going to do a full alphabet somewhere around the balls. Anyway....

I opted to forego the shopping cart or stroller since it was just going to be a quick trip. I knew what I needed and figured that I could corral Jacob for that short period. Well...let's just say he employed all of the tricks mentioned above and made the trip (as well as most other public outings recently) way more difficult than it had to be. Jacob is in a phase right now where he apparently just wants to run free...but in most cases that's not particularly safe or convenient. If you try to pick him up, he will slump to the floor, stiffen up, or raise his arms straight up in the air so the armpits disappear and you have nothing to hold on to. If you try to get him to walk on his own but hold your hand, he immediately gets jelly legs and would rather sit or lay on the floor (ewwww) than do what you'd like him to do. If you put him down and let him go, he'll run forever, or inevitably get into something he shouldn't. Not only is it really frustrating, a little embarrassing, and potentially really gross, but it makes doing anything without a stroller or shopping cart nearly impossible. And suddenly, I truly understand why people use leashes for their kids. I'm not saying I'm going to run out and buy one, but I think Jacob is currently the perfect example of why people use them. Their kids have no regard for safety, refuse to be carried, and refuse to hold their hand and walk at the same time. And if you add in that they refuse to sit in a stroller (thank goodness Jacob still likes that), you are completely and utterly screwed. And sometimes as a parent, for the sake of your sanity and the safety of your child, you have to employ methods that aren't exactly politically correct (hello, spanking!). I'm not saying that it makes it right in all cases, but I suppose it gets you through until your kid is old enough to know better. It beats having your kid run unattended into a crowd where they could be lost and/or snatched up.

For the time being I will still try to deal with it and teach him that it's wrong. I suppose it's nice to know the option is there just in case keeping tabs on him is extra vital--though I suppose in those cases we'd totally opt for the stroller if at all possible. Tonight will be another challenge as we're heading off to an annual fundraiser that Craig runs, Tip-a-Knighthawk, at a local restaurant here in town. I need to go to a store nearby anyway, so I figure we can at least stop in and eat some of the free appetizers until Jacob gets crazy and I can't corral him anymore. Oh, and guess what I may be purchasing at that store? Believe it or not, I may be getting some potty training materials. I'll save the details for another post, but while I have no illusions that we'll be waving bye-bye to diapers any time soon, there's no time like the present to get things started. We'll see what I find...

No comments: